• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My Father Has Passed On

Laurie S.

Staff member
My father has passed on. I got the call that I had been both dreading, and hoping for, last night at 9 pm from the hospice. It had been 10 days since he had the double stroke. He had a long, full lifetime of almost 87 years with too many accomplishments to list. He was an Eagle Scout, a Marine who served in WWII in the South Pacific (Guadalcanal, New Britain, New Guinea), a criminal defense lawyer, a Mason, a Ford National Leasing Account Manager, a Shriner, and a Bridge Life Master. He was married to my mother for almost 52 years.

When I was nine years old, in January 1962, I spotted a cool looking white Falcon while we were at an outdoor ice skating rink in the Chicago area. He told me that Ford was working on a new sports car that would be based on the Falcon chassis and would be out in a couple of years. It's funny, but just from what he said that night, I knew that I wanted that car. In June 1968, I finally got it and that little gold coupe still sits in my garage today, along with a blue and gold fastback that joined it 30 years later.

Semper Fi, Daddy.

Laurie, your father lived a life that most could only dream of. He is a hero, and I'm sure his life will be celebrated. My thoughts are with you.

Laurie,
At least you seemed mentally ready for this day, which is a very good thing. Your pop sounded like the perfect dad that many can only dream of having. You were his #1 support to the end and we all know he appreciated that.

RIP, Laurie's Dad.

Craig

Sorry to hear this Laurie. At least take solace in knowing he is in a better place. God bless and my prayers are with you.

Sorry to hear that, but it sounds like he was a good man and had a great life. My condolences to his family and friends.

Words are never enough but we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Sounds like he was quite the man.
Regards,
Craig (the other one)

Laurie, we all have heavy heartsafter hearing of the passing of your Dad. Although we are mostly all miles and miles away, I think it is safe to say that your Mustang family is here for you in any way we can be. My condolences, God Bless.

Sorry to hear that Laurie.
I have a special place in my otherwise black heart for WWII vets.

May he rest in peace.

May he rest in peace. Sorry for your loss Laurie. He sounds like a wonderful man. It is people like him that the world will miss only when they are all gone. He lived a good part of the worlds history, seeing so much.

Laurie,

The third and lesser known verse of the Marine Corps Hymn....

Here's health to you and to our Corps
Which we are proud to serve;

In many a strife we've fought for life
And never lost our nerve.

If the Army and the Navy
Ever gaze on Heaven's scenes,

They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines.

Admiral Nimitz described the Marine battles in the South Pacific....
"Uncommon Valor was a Common Virtue"

And more recently a qoute from President Ronald Reagan....

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering
if they've made a difference. The Marines don't
have that problem."

Your Father is once again "on-duty".
Please accept my families deepest condolences. Did you contact the local Marines about his funeral service?

Dave Sanborn
GySgt USMC (ret.)

The funeral home is arranging for it. I have to bring in his discharge papers tomorrow to get it in place. I found them last week so it's not a problem. I decided to have a memorial service for both my parents. My mother didn't want one when she died 10 years ago, but I'm in charge now and the service will honor both of them. Although she wasn't in the service, she was a "Rosie The Riveter" during much of the war in the Detroit factories. The service will be on October 28th, after the Phoenix show. That gives me time to do the obituary, get it in the paper, and handle everything else.

Thanks for that third verse, I want that read at the memorial. I doubt I'll be able to do it because I have a low crying threshold, but I'll get someone to do it.

Back