• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My neighbor hates me

tarafied1

My neighbor came over today as I was unloading my sons new project, a 1980 Bobcat wagon. He said it didn't look very good and that I would need a junkyard licence. He also pointed out the 67 Chevy van looked bad. The van is in primer and rusty but it is licensed and insured and drive-able. My old 72 Chevy sits outside too but he didn't complain about that one (but it is beat up patina ratty old mess too). My wife got really upset and defended that these are our kids cars. He said we had nice cars too but these were ugly. The Bobcat will be licensed and insured before the week is out. Everything else already is (that's visible anyway). He was complaining because his house faces the side of our house where our driveway is. I told him I don't have any place else to put them and they are legal. He said we have too many cars. But they are all in my garage or driveway or the parking area in front of our house. We do have a lot of cars but as long as they are all legal there is nothing he can do about it. However, now my wife is all upset and wants to get rid of everything. I told her I would move before I get rid of my stuff. It's my hobby. Beside the boys both will move out soon anyway and take there cars with them. He moved in about a year and half ago and early on I asked him if it bothered him that I tinkered with old cars, he said no. I did find out his wife started Chemo this week and maybe he was just in a bad mood but now I am in a pinch as my wife wants everything gone. I may have to get rid of some things. The 69 Mach1 is hidden from sight in the back yard under my deck and is the only car not able to be licensed. It may have to go. My 65 project is in the garage, she wants it to go so we can park another car in the garage, it may have to go. The rest I will stand my ground with, but I am facing a tough battle with SWMBO!

I wonder if she was already getting a little upset about too many cars and the neighbor just pushed her over the edge.

fd

I'd first make sure I knew where I stood legally having so many vehicles on the property. Different localities have ordinances governing such. Once you know your legal position you can have a better conversation with her. She most likely simply wants to keep peace with the neighborhood. You are also likely right about your neighbor although I'm sure it has been brewing. The latest car just pushed him a step closer to the edge. I wouldn't sell off any vehicles in a rash manner though I would take a serious look at timelines on all and if something is going to languish for years maybe it makes sense to part with it. Shut up {.} mines stored quietly in the garage!

We have a friend that works at the DMV (go figure), but she said there is no limit to how many vehicles you can own. They have to be registered (licence plates) and they have to be operable. Basically they can't be dismantled or badly rusted, missing parts, etc. So if he calls the city on us, the 69 would have to go. You can have such a project if it is inside your garage (but my 65 is in one stall and the 67 in the other). Under the deck wouldn't count I suspect. Even though you have to know it is there to notice it.
Our house is the last on our side of the street. It's a dead end. He lives on the very end of the street, meaning you run right into his driveway at the end. The street make a "T" and my driveway is technically off the T so the Fox Body in the photo below is technically in the street even though it only goes to my driveway. It is an old picture but it was taken from the street at the edge of his property. You can see the basic view he has of my house.
I can see his point which was the view out of his house is of my garage but he bought the house knowing that. And I have had cars around the whole time. I even asked him one time if it bothered him and he said no, that his son was into cars too when he was alive (his son died a few years ago).
Anyway, I think I will fence in my back yard and make a gravel parking/drive to keep a couple in. Both my sons will move out in a couple years anyway. One is Freshman in College the other starts College in the fall. Both going local so will live at home to save money but I'm sure they will eventually move out right?
IMG_0163a.jpg

Last edited:
Have you looked into storage elsewhere? If you could find somewhere local with outdoor storage, it should be pretty cheap to store a couple of the licensed and driving projects. You could just bring them home when you plan on working on them. It sucks but it sure beats dumping them. A row of pine trees sure would be nice across the street along the road. Would block his view of your property all year long. Maybe you could suggest paying for the trees?

For the price of a fence you could throw up a pole barn. I loomed into it and a guy from over round your area would throw one up everything but the pad included for 7800. Might be an option.

Craig, I have 11 barns which I sure I could move a few things around for you! I know the feeling. I still feel like a piece of me is missing after selling the Diamond Blue Coupe and a lot of parts I had hoarded. I still cleaning out my man cave for potentially moving in the MIL.

Maybe some lattice or screen under the deck to block his view of the '69 and, like you said, rearrange the parking to get some cars out of his line of sight. Make friends with the neighbor and reassure him that it's going to get better. Get him satisfied and maybe Tara will calm down about wanting to liquidate.

I spoke to a couple folks in the zoning office for our town. They said I can have any car licensed or not as long as it is covered by a good fitting car cover. If it has license plates it does not need to be covered. Non licensed cars can't be covered with a tarp, has to be a car cover. We got the Bobcat licensed today so the only car that is not is the 69. I put a car cover on it. One of the zoning guys came by the house and said I am in compliance with the zoning laws. He said I do not need a fence to be legal but if I want to put one up I still can. I pressure washed the Bobcat and put the hubcaps on it. I still may put up a fence but I am in no hurry now. I will try to make peace with him.
While the zoning guy was over I asked about building a garage in the backyard. He said as long as I am so many feet away from property lines and not over any utilities I can. So we will look into that. If I build a garage and put up a fence, he can't see what I am doing in my back yard. We will keep the visible garage just for parking cars in and soon the boys will be gone too.
Tara feels better after talking with zoning guys. She still worry's about neighbor being mad but relived we are in compliance. And John if you weren't so far away I'd take you up on the offer!!!

Like one of these bums?
passed%2Bout%2Bdrunk.gif

Yes to the buns...

And that is a stock bumper...what they called the 5 mph bumper. One did not get body damage in a parking lot bump. Fronts were 2.5 mph bumpers.... Our federal policies at work.

Back