• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My new 13,000 mile 86 GT

classicdoug

I just picked up this 86 Gt from a guy in Florida. I had it shipped to Texas and it arrived this past Friday. It is all original, like a time capsule from 27 years ago. It runs and drives like a new car. I've been looking for an original car for a while so when this color combination popped up, I grabbed it.

That's FRIGGIN' SWEET!!! :thu
Makes my 42k mile 86 look like a hi-mile car!!! :hs

If you haven't already, join over at foureyedpride.com.

Man that brings back memories... I got one of the last 86 GTs in late October of '86... Same Red / Grey combo just no T roofs, A/C or power windows on mine.

Too bad it doesn't have the original gatorbacks on it still.... Come to think of it... I think 13-15K is all I got out of mine. Not trying to nitpick, but being so dang original, I'd flip the tires around so that it maintains the original black side wall look. Nice find ... congrats!

that is sweet. When I had my 85, a co-worker had an 86. We used to park them next to each other at work. I miss mine a lot!

"RyanG85" said:
Very nice. You wont find one like that in NY!
Not to get off topic, but when I was looking for mine in the summer / fall of '86 here in Mass you would be lucky if one appeared on the dealer's lot that lasted for more than a day or two. I happened to drive by one of the dealers I was watching on Saturday morning that suddenly had at least 9 GTs all lined on their front lawn. The dealer apparently traded a bunch of 4x4 trucks with a dealer in Buffalo NY. Apparently they were worried about getting stuck with Mustangs with snow season approaching. Those 9 were down to 4 on the following Tuesday when I was able to negotiate just $500 over sticker... The dealer got 2K over sticker for all of the others because of the demand, plus the delays with the '87 GTs (didn't come out 'til April '87). Mine was less because it didn't have A/C.

I do like the Fox body. In 1982 I got one of these, and I do miss it! I would love to find one now and get it going...

Mel

If you haven't already, join over at foureyedpride.com.

Bob, I am on foureyedpride. Do you use BobV as your screen name over there also?

"stangg" said:
Not trying to nitpick, but being so dang original, I'd flip the tires around so that it maintains the original black side wall look. Nice find ... congrats!

Stangg, that is one of the things I definitely want to do. I like white letters on some of the older Mustangs, but not on this car.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I still can't believe it when I walk into the garage. It's like I went back to 1986 and just picked it up from the dealership. The originality is amazing.

For those of you in Texas, there is a 32,000 mile one on craigslist now. It is red with a red interior. I prefer the grey interior, but this is a nice car too. http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3562449663.html

"Fast68back" said:
Soooo, whats the back story on the low miles? Great looking car!

I'm waiting for the paperwork to arrive this week, but the story I got is that the original dealership owner liked the car and it sat in his showroom for somewhere between 5 and 10 years. Then the two owners before me treated it like a show car. As far as I know, it has never really been in the rain.

there's just two really sad points to all of this:

1. it makes me miss my 2 85 GT's that i owned.
2. that "27 yrs" comment in the first post makes me feel old. geez, has that much time passed this quick??

nice car by the way. makes me want to find another one myself.

Back