• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My new project: 1969 dead for 20+ years...brakes?

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
The pre-bend 1966 fuel lines fit like a glove, and are easy to install with the engine and exhaust removed.

dm289

"DeadStang" said:
Did you rent a flare tool, do you have one, or did you buy pre-made lines for the '66?

I bought pre-made carbon steel lines, well worth the extra money.

tarafied1

I bought pre-bent stainless steel lines for my 67. They fit great. The only one I couldn't use was for the 8" axle since I have a Varsailes 9" but well worth the money.

daveSanborn

"If" you are using a completely stock brake system.... even if it's not the stock system that came with your particular car.... then you can use a pre-bent line kit.

Pre-bent line kits become useless when you upgrade the brake system outside of the factory design. Such as with Rick's example of using a Versailles rear-end.... no kit is available for a stock application, but using a Versailles rear-end. If he'd of gone with an after market proportioning valve to manually adjust the pressure to the rear disc brakes, it's likely that some of the front lines supplied within the kit would not work/fit either.

"daveSanborn" said:
"If" you are using a completely stock brake system.... even if it's not the stock system that came with your particular car.... then you can use a pre-bent line kit.

Pre-bent line kits become useless when you upgrade the brake system outside of the factory design. Such as with Rick's example of using a Versailles rear-end.... no kit is available for a stock application, but using a Versailles rear-end. If he'd of gone with an after market proportioning valve to manually adjust the pressure to the rear disc brakes, it's likely that some of the front lines supplied within the kit would not work/fit either.

Craig, Rick, same thing......

Jonk67

Looks like you got a good start on this one, doesn't look that ugly to me...
Please preserve the original stickers, I went to Moosehead U. in the early 80's and am very proud to be and Alumni, just can't seem to remember where I put my diploma...
Now the fun starts,
Jon

DeadStang

"Jonk67" said:
Looks like you got a good start on this one, doesn't look that ugly to me...
Please preserve the original stickers, I went to Moosehead U. in the early 80's and am very proud to be and Alumni, just can't seem to remember where I put my diploma...
Now the fun starts,
Jon

I like that sticker, too. It's coming along...I am 1-2 hours from getting the motor out. Just have some exhaust to unhook, the Z-bar, and the transmission cross member, and the motor and tranny are coming out as a unit. I've been spraying the brake lines, master cylinder, proportioning valve, and booster, hoping to make everything easier to remove. So far (and 4-5 cans of PB Blaster later), I've managed to loosen all the bolts and such that I've needed to.

I'll post more photos when the motor comes out.