• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My newest project, '59 Apache Truck

Well, I hope to find out soon! it'll be next week. I'm waiting on some extra tall jackstands to leave my truck up in the air. Then I can move one of my Maxjax columns and have access to test fitting the seat. I'm probably going to put the gas tank back where the spare tire goes underneat the bed. Seems to be the thing to do, and that frees up behind the seat for"whatever". ; )

Did you get the tank from the Impalla? I have used many old Chevy tanks in the spare tire area of trucks.

I talked to my husband about it(whY?), and he said you don't want an old rusty gas tank, but I kept thinking about and figuring out where the filler neck would go? obviously out the back! lol BUt the license plate is in the way, of course I guess I could move the license? What do you think? IT looks like a very sleek design, and if it sounded good, I know I could buy a new one for about 125.oo vs the tanks that are being installed are 300.oo and the access hole for filling is made in the bed via a little door that flips up. AS for the tank that was in the iMpalal, it didn't look to good from underneath. What do you think?

"AzPete" said:
Did you get the tank from the Impalla? I have used many old Chevy tanks in the spare tire area of trucks.

Those same old Chevies had a spring loaded hinged lic. plate bracket...... Most of the time, there was none or very little mods to make. Get the old one from the car and use it to mock it up to see if you like it.

OmG Pete, that would be a great idea! I forgot about the springloaded license plate! I would just have to incorporate that into the place where the license is right now. I think I'll call the guy I bought the car from and see If he'll let me come out and the get the gas tank and license cover thing! Thanks for the idea Pete!!

"AzPete" said:
Those same old Chevies had a spring loaded hinged lic. plate bracket...... Most of the time, there was none or very little mods to make. Get the old one from the car and use it to mock it up to see if you like it.

You can also turn the filler up and put a trap door in the bed floor, just to the front of the tailgate.

Thanks Pete, sometime this week I'll get out to his place and at least examine the tank and license plate cover. I like the thought of the flip down license plate to fill/ plus it's hidden! neato! I thought new tanks were about the same as a mustang, I was wrong! they're about 230 plus the sender, about 350 by the time it reaches my door, but still less than the aluminum tanks being put in. But it'd be nice to have the Impala tank just to check it out/mock up. darn, I should have gone my my instincts and not what Gary said! I know better :shrug

I picked up a new imported gas tank for my El Camino about 2 years ago. SS396.com sells imported '64-67 chevelle tank and mounting straps for 170. The sender is another $45.
http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=chevellecamino&Product_Code=XTR-64AK

The early chevelles also had the hidden fill tube behind the license plate. Early El Camino's have their fill tube on the driver side quarter panel. I think they did this expecting that occasionally the tailgate would be down for carrying large loads therby making it difficult to fuel up. That might be something for you to consider if you plan to use it as a "truck".

The Mustang would be easier to mount, but the fuel fill on the top would probably be an issue for a rear fill tube, and then there's the issue with GM and Ford using different resistance ranges... As I say this I noticed on Classic Instruments web site that GM changed from 0-30 to 0-90 in '64. If you go with a newer tank / sender, you'll probably need a new fuel gauge to match what ever sender you go with...

getting Impala gas tank tomorrow

I called Sylvester and he's going to help me get the gas tank out of the impala. He has a forklift and he can just put the old car up in the air! neato! I'll get the license plate holder too. The photo below was from a buildthread showing the mounting of a tank like I'll have. ONly this guy didn't have the filler neck going out the back; he cut it and had it go up through the bed. I want it to go out the back if I can.
dne'

tank1.jpg

This is the boom extension I made to go on my Little Mule! This square tubing is amazingly strong! I'll be able to shorten it and take a little load off of it, as it really didn't need to be this long. Just has to clear the fender to get the plastic engine down where it belongs. This was just a test, nothing happening here yet!
replicaboom.jpg

Seat test fit

I didn't have time to take the gas tank out, but I just wanted to see how the seat would look in the apache. With my Little Mule, it lifted it up and I guided it right into the cab with ease! The gas tank is still in the truck and with it gone the entire seat can go back about 2.5-3". The drivers seat is off center by about 1.5" looking in through the front . So me, the driver will be either sitting a little off center or moving my butt over a little onto the middle, not much, and I can live with that. I think once the cab interior color is complementing to the seats, and carpet, steering wheel, it won't be that noticeable. Tommorow when I get back from getting the Impala gas tank, I can take out the old gas tank in the truck and re-install the seat once again!
If the Impala gas tank doesn't work ,then I'll look at the mustang gas tank. ;)

Tahoeseatinstall.jpg

Mocking seat, column, engine(very rough)

I honestly don't know what'd I'd do without my Little Mule! from putting the seat in and out, and in and out! to the steering column!

Anyway, this is pretty much how the seat is going to go. Funny enough, the front bolt holes line up with the holes on the floor! ha, but the rear of the seat sits up 6", so I'll fab a framing for that.

newseatdoorsclosed.jpg

Here, the plastic engine is bolted to the original bell housing, the distributor is about 1/2" from the firewall, but the trucks not sitting on the jack stands at its ride stance, so the engine is off! Not sure How I"m going to do that yet. I'm going to put the engine further forward and getting the fan as close to the radiator(within reason) and keeping in mind I may go with an electric fan, but I'd rather just stick with what's shown.
IMG_0083.jpg

The steering column is being held up by Little Mule(LM), kind of figuring out how it's going to work with relation ship to the seat and the person sitting(me) and how the steering gear is going to work, and gear selector omg~ the rest kind of speaks for itself. Any observations is appreciated as always; )

IMG_0082.jpg

engineleveling.jpg

columninsidecab.jpg

PS; the Impala gas tank didn't work, way too big, so may be looking at the Mustang gas tank.

I don't think the truck being on jack stands will effect the motor/tranny position UNLESS the front axle will be in contact with the pan. The angle to the rear end could be effected too which will change the dist. position.

no suspension, now what?

Hi ya'll!
Well, I've put off the gas tank for now, working on the front end. A fellow trucker guy (Wayne) out of Calif is advising me as he has a shop there. He's thinking maybe I should go with the MustangII front end kit. IT looks like something I can tackle. I just need to practice with my 175 amp Systematics(brand name) welder I just purchased (used, but works great). OTher than that, many folk are putting in gm front clips (?) and I just don't know about Me installing one of those beastly things! The way I drive, (grandma style), I'm not looking for superb handling, just something other than what was on the truck. ok, heading to pull off the inner fenders while it's cool outside! ; )

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/tech ... to_01.html

nosuspension.jpg

Go with the Mustang II setup. There is plenty of people who have done this to give you advise if you need it.

By by old suspension!

Ok, ordering the Mustang II~ now just need to practice welding! I've got plenty of time and plenty of other stuff to do!

"janschutz" said:
Go with the Mustang II setup. There is plenty of people who have done this to give you advise if you need it.

oldsuspension.jpg

Dave Sanborn has always spoke highly of Rod and Customs MII front ends and their superior tech support... [http://www.rcmotorsportsinc.com//u... the new one I just put in my '65 El Camino.

Well, a small change in plans~ a fellow Chevy truck enthusiast which lives just a few miles down the street, has his own shop where he works on old chevy trucks. He wanted me to look at another option~ so, I went to his shop to look at the frame replacement in the below link. I would cut the frame just in front of the rear front leaf springs to remove the old frame, then this one is made to slip into the existing frame, bolt, then weld. The rest of the suspension is gathered from salvage yards, and a list is given of which control arms, steering gears, linkage, etc, can be used. He's going to be installing this in his '59 Apache in the next few weeks and I'm going to assist, and see what I think, if it's something I want to persue. I've put myself in a no hurry mode and seeing what all there is to offer. Dave, the man that owns the shop nearby does not like the MustangII suspension and he showed me why. He likes the beefiness of this frame replacement made for this truck. I'll take some photo's when that time comes of helping him. It's fun to think I'd be involved in a fellow enthusiast/ working along side of him! I'd of course bring over my Little Mule :wor to assist me!

http://www.kimbridgeent.com/194755chevypickup.htm

We use the Rod and Custom on every mustang we build, and have never had a problem with them. I would have to say of all the other ones we have tried there's go in twice as fast. It looks by your link they already make a set up for your truck. Best thing to do is a price comparison, then see if all the running looking for parts is worth it. Does the other set up come with a coil over.

The Kimbrige front ends sure look like Mustang II front end too me... Some manufactures sell setups similar to what kimbrige has as "economy" setups - pretty much stamped steel arms as opposed to tubular, and traditional coil springs and shocks versus coil overs... but generally speaking still Mustang II based. Pick up a current issue of Street Rodder Magazine. There always seems to be several makers of MII suspensions advertised for all sorts of vehicles. Also, I wouldn't cut your frame... you can easily add mucho strength just by boxing your current frame with some 1/8" plate. After it's boxed, install your favorite crossmember / suspension setup. No sense cutting and splicing only to achieve what you can with boxing the frame... plus you don't need to worry about messing up mounts for the radiatior support, fenders, bumper etc...

Back