• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My newest project, '59 Apache Truck

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific in where to look on the site, you have to scroll down to where a frame is for the '59 apache. Here is one at my new friends place. He bought this Kimbridge frame used. Not a pretty site, but you have to look past and look at the finished product. ; )

kimbrigesusp.jpg

Looking closer at the listing you posted kinda brings some questions up Dne'. The kit at the top of the page includes all the suspension, brake and steering components. It also appears there's little to no cutting of the frame, with the welding limited to the new (included!) cross member, spring/a-arm perches and frame boxing plates. The one you've mentioned getting requires cutting the frame, and more importantly, the need to be very critical of how well it's installed to restore that strength. These are also critical for the upper kit, but you're working off the original frame as a more stable starting point. The final thing comes down to cost. The upper kit is $300 more than the frame section. With the frame section you still need to acquire all of your suspension, steering and brake components. Do you think you could get all that for less than $300? Just a thought!

I Would second what Ponyman66 said considering your previously stated use for the truck. That does like like a well built piece though. kip

sigh~ I'm seriously thinking just going back with stock stuff, but putting a lower I-beam axle and the Toyota power steering gear assembly. I can reuse the stock springs, take em apart, paint them. I already have the disc brake setup, and I had already ordered the engine support(so that's mine no matter what). I talked to a man that I would send my I-beam to that adjusts it to any drop that I'd like, puts new king pin bushings, or he just pulls one off of his shelf and sends it to me. It's funny, no matter how I figure on any given setup, it's still 2,ooo - 2500.oo! lol I'm going to sit down with my calculator and see what I do for the stock setup with p/s and a 3" drop. I'll be back! Thank you all!
dne'

"Ponyman66" said:
Looking closer at the listing you posted kinda brings some questions up Dne'. The kit at the top of the page includes all the suspension, brake and steering components. It also appears there's little to no cutting of the frame, with the welding limited to the new (included!) cross member, spring/a-arm perches and frame boxing plates. The one you've mentioned getting requires cutting the frame, and more importantly, the need to be very critical of how well it's installed to restore that strength. These are also critical for the upper kit, but you're working off the original frame as a more stable starting point. The final thing comes down to cost. The upper kit is $300 more than the frame section. With the frame section you still need to acquire all of your suspension, steering and brake components. Do you think you could get all that for less than $300? Just a thought!

oops... i didn't scroll down far enough... I should have realized your description didn't macth the first couple of front ends...

Anyway...If you go with a MII front end... here's the one I was thinking of in Street Rodder magazine. A few years ago "Helix" seemed to have some pretty aggressive introductory pricing. Here's one for your truck on eBay... $1458 delivered... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/55-59-CHEVY-PICKUP-TRUCK-MUSTANG-2-II-IFS-FRONT-END-/190548748403?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5d972873

This is one of those apples and oranges comparison... the MII is all inclusive and relatively easier to install. The kimbrige require a huge commitment to cut up your existing frame and hope that you get the new frame aligned right. It doesn't seem hard from their instructions, but one screw up can have a big impact, not to mention there is no turning back once you cut the frame. Once the kimbrige is installed I'd venture to guess it would be a bit more stable considering how the lower arms are mounted. I do like that the lower control arms are mounted in a manner that spreads the load some onto the frame rails as compared to traditional tubular MII setups that concentrate the load strictly on the cross member mounts. Most folks would prefer that the control arm mounts are configured in double shear, but most MII setups use single shear mounts. Lots of folks say it's not a big deal, but from a design perspective double shear is better than single shear.

If it makes you feel any better cost wise, I built my own front clip for my Mustang because I had all the ancillary Fox based pieces to do so... but after I got started I kept replacing parts with better pieces and ended up spending over $1700 plus raw stock cost... I can't tell you how many hours went into building the clip, but it took quite a bit of work to get it done...
stangg_0002.jpg

If I get another Mustang, I'm pretty sure I'd go with a rod and custom front end and possibly add some bracing to better support the lower arms.

Either way you go seems like a bargain, but the MII would definitely be an easier installation to do at home. You could essentially tack it in just to get a feel for how it will work before committing to welding it in... plus you don't have to mess with the potential body alignment issues.

The kimbrige could also be fairly easy to do, but could also be very easy to screw up bad... once you cut you are committed... there is no going back!

I think the only downside to the MII setup is the single shear lower control arm mounts... check around to see if any MII kits are available that mount the lowers in double shear... it might not even be an issue... just something to consider.

That was a great writeup Stangg! you simplified it to where I even understood it! That Helix looks nice, and your fabrication is marvelous!
Me, I've gone off in so many directions in looking at suspensions that I've become kind of dis-interested! Last night I was imagining just going with a mono leaf spring (a good one, not a cheapy) which would lower the truck and buy the Toyota steering gear(this gear mounts where the original gear mounted), and that would just about do it. Except for having king pin bushing installed.

I still am waiting to go help that fellow trucker to install his Kimbrige(sp) setup and in turn he would more than likely help me get mine installed(if I chose that setup). IT does look beefy and like you said regarding the lower control arms, looks very stable!

So, I'm going to take a break from suspension and work on floors, firewall(patching holes), and the radio patch panel, and maybe start prepping the interior cab for the color to compliment my seat. That alone will be a months worth of work and maybe by then, I'll have accumulated more knowledge about old truck suspensions! Definitely more than meets the eye!
dne'

Sorry it's been so long, my brother and I have been working on moms home replacing old rotted wood, taking a while to get done! Moms happy, so that's all that matters !!
About the only thing I've accomplished is the install of the passenger side floor pan, still have to do the drivers side. As for suspension, I've decided to stay with the straight axle, of course with all new components, ps upgrade, etc. I have the axle ready to be shipped to a man that "overhauls" them, and to upgrade the tie rod ends to modern type. That's about it!!; )

2301ad4d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A little progress

After struggling with what suspension, finally decided to keep it simple and stuck with the stock front axle, but went with Posie slider leaf spring that will lower about 3"'s from stock. I sent my axle to Sid@droppedaxles.com, a really nice man!!! He installed new king pins, sandblasted the axle, etc, I installed the axle and leaf springs yesterday. I also ordered about 2500 worth of parts, should keep me busy for a while!
; )

7913954e.jpg

Back