• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My Son's 67 Coupe

A

Anonymous

First let me say I am really liking this forum and I glad I found it. I found it via the Tapatalk iPhone App.

Okay now my story. As soon as I found out I was having a son I so excited I sold my Harleys, bought him a '67 coupe, and started a college fund. All this before he was even born. And yes it will be for him in about sixteen years. I have always loved the classic mustangs even though I never owned one until now. I had a '69 Skylark in high school which I sold after graduating and I kick myself in the butt every time I see one. So anyway I wanted him to have a sweet car for his first ride. After reading the build that is currently in progress 1968 Coupe WDT by S8NS 289. I have decided to do my own build thread. So here I am crating this build in efforts to restomod my sons coupe. I am not a professional by any means. I am very handy and my welding skills are average. I have built a few bicycle projects, I have a minor motorcycle mechanic license, and I have been working on helicopters for fifteen years now so I think I will okay but now the less I am sure I am in the right spot to get all the help I need. Shortly I will post pictures of the stang. My build will slow with progression, just have the time to spend on it with a little guy running around. Just stay tuned for updates. Wish me luck with the stang.

For now here are some pictures of my handy bike work. Yes the first one is made from PVC pipe, my wife and i road it 20 miles in a fun bike ride. Both bikes are five speed with dual rear brakes.

PVC Bike

Attachments

• IMG00042.jpg
    669.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG00043.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG00044.jpg
    556.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG00041.jpg
    640.1 KB · Views: 159
Welcome to the Fix. Gotta love the little guys getting into all sorts of trouble. Look forward to your build.

Not sure if it's just me but I selected the PVC bike photo link from my iPhone and it froze up Safari pretty wickedly. Any who, good look on the coupe and being a Dad and there is plenty of good wisdom around here to help when you need it.

Where are you located?

HI! and welcome! Well, you've plenty of time to get it going, but face it, you've got to have some fun with it too~! especially after hard work getting it going and a sum of money into it as well! Maybe by then technology will have developed air bag safety for early model cars! Anyway, you may want to try photobucket.com for posting photos or use the Gallery on this site(on the Gallery, photos can be uploaded directly from an existing file on your computer). Have a super day!!!
dne'

If you can build a PVC bike that you can ride for 20 miles, a mustang restoration will be a piece o' cake. hope to see your coupe, it will be awesome!

Okay i figured out the picture thing. the PVC bike pictures are in the first post and here are the 3 wheeler. i will add my stang pics a little later today.

Attachments

• IMG00005.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG00006.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG00007.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG00008.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG00009.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 9
Okay here is what she looked like the day i picked her up.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 5.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 4.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 24
  • 2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 21
Okay here is the first of many repairs that are ahead of me. I decided to tackle the battery tray. it was not as hard as i thought. i think the hardest part is going to be the quarter panels.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 010.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 001 (3).JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 002 (3).JPG
    340.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 003 (3).JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 004 (3).JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 13
New battery tray installed

Attachments

• 005 (3).JPG
    334.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 006 (3).JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 23
Does anyone have any advice on paint for the engine bay? I want to paint it while I have it apart.

Paulzox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used aircraft stripper and a wire brush on a drill to strip all the paint on mine. Then painted it with spray can semi flat black. Can't remember the brand I used.

"Gigantopithecus" said:
I used aircraft stripper and a wire brush on a drill to strip all the paint on mine. Then painted it with spray can semi flat black. Can't remember the brand I used.

Jamie,
This is what i had in mind. How long ago did you do this and how does it look today?

"abrahamfh" said:
Welcome to the Fix. Gotta love the little guys getting into all sorts of trouble. Look forward to your build.

Not sure if it's just me but I selected the PVC bike photo link from my iPhone and it froze up Safari pretty wickedly. Any who, good look on the coupe and being a Dad and there is plenty of good wisdom around here to help when you need it.

Where are you located?

Yeah i agree with you about the little guys getting into everything/trouble. I live in the San Diego area

"paulzox" said:
Jamie,
This is what i had in mind. How long ago did you do this and how does it look today?

I did it back in early-2006. Other than being dusty, it looks fine. Keep in mind that the car hasn't been out of the garage much. It did survive a years stay in the elements under a tarp afterwards

"Gigantopithecus" said:
I did it back in early-2006. Other than being dusty, it looks fine. Keep in mind that the car hasn't been out of the garage much. It did survive a years stay in the elements under a tarp afterwards

do you have any current pics? I would like to see some results before i put in the time and effort and not like it. Thanks

"paulzox" said:
do you have any current pics? I would like to see some results before i put in the time and effort and not like it. Thanks

Well, here's about the only one I could get that looked ok with this crappy blackberry camera.

Attachments

• enginebay.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 19
Okay now I am back to the states for a few months it's time to get the stand running again.

Paulzox

Looks like you've got a good specimen to start with. I also used the aircraft stripper and wire wheel on my engine bay, then painted with semigloss black. I now wish I would have used POR15 as I've scratched the engine bay all up putting in engine, exh., etc.
IMG_0595.jpg

Jon

Okay finally woke up the beast and drove it around the block after sitting for over two years. It sure wants to go but hates stopping!

Paulzox

"Jonk67" said:
Looks like you've got a good specimen to start with. I also used the aircraft stripper and wire wheel on my engine bay, then painted with semigloss black. I now wish I would have used POR15 as I've scratched the engine bay all up putting in engine, exh., etc.
IMG_0595.jpg

Jon

Jon your bay looks great, I am actually thinking about re doing mine.

Paulzox

Back