• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need a dropped centerlink for a 67 Mustang

mdp427

I need the above so that I can complete the install of power steering on my 67 fastback equipped with a side oiler 427. The problem is that the piston will not clear the headers (JBA), even with the lowering bracket for the frame. There is a photo of this centerlink on this website but I cannot locate the info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I didn’t see a link but something you might consider, I put a 460 then 429 in my 67. I did this back in 1990. I removed the PS for the reason you mentioned. My headers just wouldn’t work with the PS. Anyway, years later I got tired of the non PS effort it took with the PS gearbox and no assist. I went with EPAS and have no pump, hoses, etc. I love the electric power steering!
Just a thought
94cfbf4feaaefb78a6312b46fdae0601.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use of a Borgeson PS box is also an option. The stock PS system is not great to begin with anyway and it WILL leak at some point as well. Why not upgrade it now and avoid the fitment issues too?

Yeah! Forgot about that option. My dad did this to his 66 because it never had PS but it is a nice upgrade.

I didn’t see a link but something you might consider, I put a 460 then 429 in my 67. I did this back in 1990. I removed the PS for the reason you mentioned. My headers just wouldn’t work with the PS. Anyway, years later I got tired of the non PS effort it took with the PS gearbox and no assist. I went with EPAS and have no pump, hoses, etc. I love the electric power steering!
Just a thought
94cfbf4feaaefb78a6312b46fdae0601.jpg

I have considered the electric option but I'm not sure that the little mustang steering box will handle the weight.

I have considered the electric option but I'm not sure that the little mustang steering box will handle the weight.
Not sure I am following you with that comment. All the electric mod does is use an electric motor to assist driver effort in turning the steering shaft. No added torque in terms of the force the stock box sees. the unit itself is solidly mounted to the dash and column so no added weight is placed on anything either.

What I find unappealing to the set-up is the added clutter under (usually some what protruding) the dash. This is usually the case when parts are swapped from one car and made to "fit" in another. If one were to source and design something from scratch I bet you could make it smaller and fit better.

The Borgeson route is very clean and looks stock to the casual viewer. The box looks and fits like the stock piece. A power steering pump looks at home as do the lines. I suggest (and used) a GM Saginaw style pump for its slim design and proven performance. It's also very easy to modify to produce a lower pressure (assist level) so as not to diminish the "road feel" when driving but having enough help to make low speed turning easy.

Back