• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need a good satin black for engine bay, dash, doors

"mustangstofear" said:
I've had to reduce the last 3 brands of epoxy to get them to lay down the way I like it. But I still wouldn't use them as a top coat finish.
I painted my daughter's black out panel on her 08 with this. I tried to use enamel and spray bomb but they would peal right away. It's been on it through the winter and the car is parked outside and still looks as good as the day I sprayed it. Also it's probably too soon to make a determination. My only concern is if it's UV resistant. I have used this on the bottom of cars and it's by far the toughest finish of anything I've ever seen.

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
i think the SEM is better than the mar-hyde. i used the mar-hyde on plastic interior parts 25 yrs ago & it worked great. a few yrs later i bought some & it wasn't the same.

Thanks very much. SEM has been ordered. Going with the Landau black on the interior and SEM trim black in the engine bay, because I didn't want to have to use rattle cans in the engine bay and the trim black comes in quarts & gallons. I sprayed a couple samples 2 days ago from a rattlecan and I like the look of this stuff and it seems fairly durable.

Story of my life, everything takes longer than expected. Got the engine bay primed a few weeks ago then got busy with work. Finally got back to it last saturday and finished up spraying the engine bay using the SEM trim black. After some missteps with a new spray gun which caused some rework for me (no vent hole caused paint starvation and a sandy finish I had to resand and respray), it got done and didn't come out too horrible.

onto the next thing on the long list.

"steveh326" said:
it got done and didn't come out too horrible.
That doesn't sound good. If you're not happy with it, fix it. Otherwise it will bother you every time you pop the hood.

"Horseplay" said:
That doesn't sound good. If you're not happy with it, fix it. Otherwise it will bother you every time you pop the hood.

I understand and agree with you, but I am actually really pleased with how it came out. Not a show car by any stretch but I think it looks pretty good and I'll be proud to pop the hood on cruise nights. was just a huge pita getting there with the spray gun issues I had, caused me a bunch of rework and having to do it twice.

Back