• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need C4 Shift Linkage help

I have a question regarding the shift linkage of my C4 trans. Attached is a pic of my trans just wana make sure I have everything on the trans to hook up the shift linkage too also attached is a pic of the linkage i believe i need to buy to hook it all up

"70_Fastback" said:
That's the passing gear kick down rod.

Nope, it is the shifting connecting rod.

Here's a pic showing a partial view of the connecting rod on the right and the typical 65/66 kickdown rod on the left.

Now for a 69, did they use a solid kickdown linkage or a cable like used for a 67/68?

Doh, you're correct! The kickdown (which is a rod on a 70) does not have the elongated hole on the one end - they are both bushed, round holes. My bad.

I have both laying in the garage as I am using a cable driven shifter. Sorry'bout that.

"70_Fastback" said:
That's the passing gear kick down rod.

You do know that Ford transmissions don't use a passing gear, right? They simply downshift to the next lower gear if the pressure from the governor valve is low enough compared to the pressure on the modulator. Some Chevy transmissions have a passing gear.

"Daves69Coupe" said:
I have a question regarding the shift linkage of my C4 trans. Attached is a pic of my trans just wana make sure I have everything on the trans to hook up the shift linkage too also attached is a pic of the linkage i believe i need to buy to hook it all up

You need a clip that goes into the manual shift rod (lower picture in your post) where it attaches to the transmission. The clip is not shown in your picture.

You also need some sort of kick down cable or rod. The kick down on a '69/later is a rod, similar to the '65. The rod works great on the stock Autolite carbs. It doesn't work worth a damn on aftermarket carbs. And the Edlebrock adapter for it? Forget about it. Just more waste of money. It works worse than not having the adapter.

Your best solution for a '69/later for the kickdown is to use the Lokar kickdown cable. It looks way better, and works excellent. I used one on my daughter's '69.

Back