• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need help finding a dual exhaust for a '67 Convertible

Cptmorgan

My new-to-me car has a rusty and leaky dual 2.0" exhaust w/ long tube headers. It looks like it was a custom build system done when the engine was pulled back in 1984. I'm looking for an off-the-shelf setup that would mostly bolt in. Anyone with convertible running dual exhaust? what brand?

Convertible cars have a body brace that limits running big pipes. Flowmaster says their exhaust system will not fit a convertible, although I suspect it would with some creativity.

Thanks,
-Morgan

Really like the system I bought from MagnaFlow. You'll have to check to see about a kit to fit your application. I can tell you the quality is very good. The sound is excellent but that is really a personal preference kind of thing. I will also say that nothing is just a "bolt-in", especially if you use headers. They all vary ever so much in terms of angle of the collectors. "Kits" will come with a length of pipe to me "worked" to match up the headers to the mid-pipe and beyond. If you are not doing it yourself not for you to worry about. Any decent muffler shop can do it. Make sure you specify (if using a SS system) that they have the ability to weld SS properly. That means the right gas mixture and MIG wire. Otherwise they will contaminate the pipes and introduce a weld prone to rusting. Not the end of the world but if done right the system will last much longer.

You can always just buy the mufflers of choice and have a shop fab up the rest too. Have to choose whether simple duals or X-pipe/H-pipe. The later are probably even tougher in a convertible. Better performance with the crossovers but each has a different sound. You may want to have resonator pipes added to eliminate any chance of highway "droning" as well.

My new-to-me car has a rusty and leaky dual 2.0" exhaust w/ long tube headers. It looks like it was a custom build system done when the engine was pulled back in 1984. I'm looking for an off-the-shelf setup that would mostly bolt in. Anyone with convertible running dual exhaust? what brand?

Convertible cars have a body brace that limits running big pipes. Flowmaster says their exhaust system will not fit a convertible, although I suspect it would with some creativity.

Thanks,
-Morgan
I put a full flowmaster system on my 70 convertible.

To be honest, I did buy it on a black Friday special without reading the fine print that said it would not fit convertibles. I called them and they said it will work, but only if I adapted the floor brace. The pipes are too low were the brace is.

It was not completely bolt on though. I had an exhaust shop fab some custom work to connect up to the headers I put on.

3b75a2218e0c66ac14e1e6da4af6fc47.jpg
da7106d8c9535aedc98c0118ddecfe10.jpg
e407fffa972d1607031116ef72a13cf3.jpg

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Thanks RapidRabbit. Those pictures help a ton! That is not going to work for me. I see that the H pipe is much farther back then I thought. I expected it was much closer to the oil pan. Did you build a new floor brace?

Thanks RapidRabbit. Those pictures help a ton! That is not going to work for me. I see that the H pipe is much farther back then I thought. I expected it was much closer to the oil pan. Did you build a new floor brace?
I've been driving without it for now. It's on my list but I don't have a welder. I probably will just put some 3in spacers on the original to drop it down. I've been trying to find someway to reinstall it.

Also I have an AOD so I had to have it altered a bit for that too.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Back