• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need help on Ignition switch removal

jims6t6

Something broke in my ignition switch. It just turns freely. When I try to remove the cylinder with key turned to the accessory position it will not come out. Any help short of replacing the entire unit?

Are you inserting something into the release hole (e.g. a paperclip)? Sounds like you are possibly turning it just to the accessory position. When "unlocked" it'll actually turn further, then it'll come out.

Yes I inserting a clip in the release hole. It turns past but will not come out. It spins around. The only time I get any resistant is when it stops at accessory and start. With the clip in it spins all the way around.

I am following now Jim. How far and which direction are you turning the key when you try to remove it? The key should turn CCW (to the left) and then almost exactly 90 degrees with the release pin pressed in. It may be going a little too far past the removal point to allow it to come out. I'd recommend turning the key so it's horizontal (turned to the left of course with the release pin pressed), then very gently rotate the key CW and CCW in small increments as you apply pulling pressure on the key. Don't go any further than a couple of degrees when you're turning it. If that fails, I'm all out of ideas. The last resort would be a slide hammer screwed into it and yank the snot out it. Of course then you'd need a new ignition switch too usually! Good luck with it.

Back