• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New engine and parts

A

Anonymous

I went and finished/picked up the new "street" engine yesterday. My buddy in Topeka that was the brains behind the old 289 (that lasted 8 yrs of track abuse) pieced together a street motor for me.

It has an 86 302 block and rotating assembly. Decked the block .030" to get the pistons within .002" of the deck. It was already bored to .040" and only needed a hone. New bearings, rings, oil pump, timing chain and gears. An older Crower cam with .475" lift, 280* duration and 108* lobe center. He was swapping out the old 66 iron heads on his daughter's 289 drag engine, so we put those on this motor. They were a copy of my race heads way back when we built the first engine. He had an RPM intake that we added and I'll re-use my oil pan, flywheel, clutch, fuel pump and carb. The MSD box will have a 5,500 chip to keep me from over-revving it. No track days for this engine, it'll only the see the street. I hope to get it installed and running this long weekend. I'll provide pics later, after I unwrap it and start prepping it for installation. I still need to center the scattershield and paint it.

Since it will spend some time on the street, Deb requested I quiet it down a little. I remember Kent (KK Pony from the VMF) posting about Spiral Turbo Specialties. Jim makes these little inserts that supposedly quiet the car down while still allowing no loss of ponies. I'll install these after the race bullets and see how it goes. I couldn't find a post by Kent where he said if they worked. Hell, it's only money....

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this motor built with the 86 302 crankshaft & rods?
Won't you need a 50oz balancer & flywheel instead of your old 28oz 289 stuff? :shrug

Yep, you are correct. I do need to get a new flywheel. The new balancer is a 50oz, SFI damper.

"silverblueBP" said:
Since it will spend some time on the street, Deb requested I quiet it down a little.

Does she have that good of a memory or is it all the old track videos you keep playing?

Make sure that balancer has both 3-bolt & 4-bolt patterns. Yours is 3-bolt, 70-up is 4-bolt.

Better to find out about the flywheel now than after it's all bolted in! :rant

The different pulleys on the front may cause alignment issues with the alt. water pump and such also. I have run into things going either way.....

"BobV" said:
Make sure that balancer has both 3-bolt & 4-bolt patterns. Yours is 3-bolt, 70-up is 4-bolt.

Better to find out about the flywheel now than after it's all bolted in! :rant

It does have both bolt patterns. I thought I had come up with all the little parts still needed, good thing I mentioned the flywheel. I completely brain farted that "unimportant" item! I'm new to this mix and match parts motor. I'm sure there'll be something else.

"AzPete" said:
The different pulleys on the front may cause alignment issues with the alt. water pump and such also. I have run into things going either way.....

I have a couple diff water pump and crank pulleys to work with.

Sounds like you have it mostly covered... 15 years ago when I was building the clone with a 5.0 shortblock, I did a LOT of head-scratching sorting out what parts to use to keep a vintage 289 appearance, and still have function...

Don't forget to plug the 5.0 dipstick hole.
Watch out on the timing cover, fuel pump eccentric, cam pin, timing chain combo... There are certain combinations that won't bolt up or will rub the inside of the cover. It gets tricky.

You can even get reverse flow water pump and timing covers that really add to the mix when one is unsure of the parts.

:wtf

I can see that going over real well in a small farming town :hide

Good luck finishing the engine build and upcoming install. I hope it gets back on the road sooner than later.

I finally got the engine out of the truck. The valve covers and oil pan were only for transport. I'll re-use my Canton pan and chrome covers. Still need to clean and paint the motor.

2012engine.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back