• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New engine and parts

Sealed it up last night without a backing plate gasket. Just pressure tested it again (13lbs) and it still leaks, but only at the lower alt bracket bolt. Not much, but it is bubbling the soapy water around the spacer. I am befuddled.

"70_Fastback" said:
Are you torqueing to a spec?

Yes, whatever the book said to torque to. I've also tried it a little higher with no change.

This morning I checked it again and the air leak is very minute, but it is still there. I think I'll drop the motor in and fire it up, see what happens. It takes about 10 minutes to go from 13psi to zero.

Using guide studs and mounting studs sure makes the install go easier and faster. 45 minutes from the ground to installed...by myself (damn living out in the boonies , away from civilization!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy can't properly install a simple water pump and now he's making like he is some engine installation expert. :roll

"Horseplay" said:
Guy can't properly install a simple water pump and now he's making like he is some engine installation expert. :roll

lmao

"silverblueBP" said:
Since it will spend some time on the street, Deb requested I quiet it down a little. I remember Kent (KK Pony from the VMF) posting about Spiral Turbo Specialties. Jim makes these little inserts that supposedly quiet the car down while still allowing no loss of ponies. I'll install these after the race bullets and see how it goes. I couldn't find a post by Kent where he said if they worked. Hell, it's only money....

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Would it be possible for you to drop everything else in your life that is not related to getting your Mustang back on the road :sarc so you can report back on these baffles?

"jmbour66" said:
Would it be possible for you to drop everything else in your life that is not related to getting your Mustang back on the road :sarc so you can report back on these baffles?
I believe he is still waiting for the water pump to magically heal its leak before he can fire it up.

"Horseplay" said:
I believe he is still waiting for the water pump to magically heal its leak before he can fire it up.

LMAO!

Did I mention that I installed a new water pump on the 460, in the rat rod, and it's not leaking a bit. Anywhere. And I didn't do no stinking pressure test either... just installed and went.

:roll

"70_Fastback" said:
LMAO!

Did I mention that I installed a new water pump on the 460, in the rat rod, and it's not leaking a bit. Anywhere. And I didn't do no stinking pressure test either... just installed and went.

:roll
So then you do not know for sure that it in fact is not leaking...

Uhh, yeah. I've been driving the shit out of it. Almost 60 miles, one way, to a car show last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark is waiting to use all of his winnings from the Chump Championship to buy another water pump.

"70_Fastback" said:
Uhh, yeah. I've been driving the shit out of it. Almost 60 miles, one way, to a car show last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:wop

"Midlife" said:
Mark is waiting to use all of his winnings from the Chump Championship to buy another water pump.

Winnah!

Finally got the new motor finished up and the car back together (and mostly cleaned of dripping fluid). Broke the motor in, no leaks and checked it all over. I have a nasty feeling though that a lobe was wiped. I'm not getting much rotation to the #6 exhaust pushrod. I'll drive it and see if it changes any. Doesn't matter, I'm not taking this one out till a race motor is ready.

I did install the baffles in the exhaust pipes and it really does make a sound level difference. It quieted it down quite a bit and might just be OK to drive around town without bringing the blue shirts down on me!

The motor is a 302 bored .040", used Crower cam with .475" total lift with hydraulic lifters. Used the rest of the parts off the old 289. I don't have much $$ in this one, just something to tool around town for awhile.

Congratulations.

What did you end up doing to fix that water leak? Different gasket?

"Horseplay" said:
Congratulations.

What did you end up doing to fix that water leak? Different gasket?

6 cans of :gs

Used some "Right Stuff" to seal the back plate (without a gasket) and then a small amount applied to the timing cover.

With regards to the baffles: did you install these in front of the bullets or behind? Is it as simple as setting and securing them in the exhaust tips?

Back