• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New ORP double roller spring perches

"70_Fastback" said:
Oh, well if that's the case Mark, don't worry about it - I didn't know that. I was just figuring I could use them in lieu of collecting dust in your shop.

Don't get yer mankini in a twist just yet!

"hivewax" said:
so, the bind in racing conditions could break the shocks??

I think that's reaching, the bind is minimal. I don't and haven't seen that happen. You have to look at it from a track perspective, the parts are on the the edge near 100% of the time and every little bind / change will make a difference.
I seriously doubt it could ever be noticed on the street, there's no way to compare street driving and track punishment...apples and oranges.

Since I've been there, done that....what you think is pushing the car on the street, you later find out is about 50% track pushing it!!

"hivewax" said:
so, it's just getting better control over the suspension travel or getting a better feel of the road...

I'm bettin both

The rubber bushing spring perches have been known to rip the bottom off the shock. Lot's of bind there.

The deal is "it's the little things" in racing that make a difference. The double rollers make the drag cars a lot more consistant and give better weight transfer. They go through full suspension travel each time they leave the line.
For road racers, it keeps the tires planted on the track better because of the lack of bind. If something binds, there is compression and rebound, Not Good ! You want everything smooth without bind.

Bind anyone :yikes

springperchbind1.jpg

springperchbind2.jpg

Notice the ball joint stud is pointed forward. I slid the batt. as far up the board as I could to prove my point. This is no photo-chop (even if I knew how to do one - I don't)

What's that saying, a picture is worth a thousand words :toot

Just curious, that control arm does not look like it came from a car that was being driven currently.....maybe from one that has been parked for some time. There is pretty old looking corrosion around the perch rubber itself.

If you put a new rubber bushing perch in the BFing vise and try and pivot it with a 3' pry bar, you'll end up lifting yourself off the ground before you spin the perch.

"AzPete" said:
Just curious, that control arm does not look like it came from a car that was being driven currently.....maybe from one that has been parked for some time. There is pretty old looking corrosion around the perch rubber itself.

Check out the clean threads on the shaft kit. These arms were on the road just before the photo. They came off our 66 coup.

Edit - Yes .... Cars do rust in California

John....question about your avatar pic; is that at the top of the corkscrew and if so, was the car outta shape? The line looks really weird!

"silverblueBP" said:
John....question about your avatar pic; is that at the top of the corkscrew and if so, was the car outta shape? The line looks really weird!

It is Laguna and no, the car is on line. It does look a little odd I admit from the angle the photo was taken.

I have around 10K laps around Laguna and do driving instruction there for the Shelby Club. I was a track crew member there for 5 years too.

I rode down the cork screw on a office chair one day. Got going way too fast and had to bail. The track drops 30 feet from the top of 8a to 8b. I have a ton of stories about that turn.

I'd love to drive Laguna :toot :toot

<thread hijack now complete>

&quot;Opentracker&quot; said:
The rubber bushing spring perches have been known to rip the bottom off the shock. Lot's of bind there.
That happened to me! I KNEW I wasn't the only one!

I had been running newer (1yr old) standard perches, almost brand spankin new Edelbrock shocks (which are upside down, so the weak point is at the perch), and stock springs. I was out running around back roads with the local car club when I cam over a rise too fast and came down hard. Heard a loud CLANG, which was repeated in miniature every time I went over a bump on the way back. Upon inspection I discovered that the left shock piston rod snapped clean off at the lower mount that bolts into the perch. I was not happy, but at least it gave me a good reason to switch to roller perches.

Back