• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New Project! 1968 Volvo P1800 "Bullwinkle"

Ouch. I'm seeing a 6 figure build here easy. That is gonna be an awesome car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad always told me speed cost money. How fast do you want to go?.…. I want to go pretty fast.

Ouch. I'm seeing a 6 figure build here easy. That is gonna be an awesome car.
Parts alone can get ridiculous. When you start hiring out the work it can get down right ugly fast.

This is one of those rare cases though where the final result sure looks like it might actually be worth the coin.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I am at the most expensive part of the build now. I can't do metal work to the level I want so I had to farm out that labor. I don't trust my welding to weld in a new subframe So I am going to have to hire that part out.

I hope it will be worth the effort, planning and expense when it is done. I really do feel it could be the nicest classic Volvo I have ever see when it gets done.

I was able to finish one of the headlights on Friday and hope to get the other one done this week. When I do I will post up some pictures and photos of what I did to make them.

I think this car will be SICK. I think you've taken the best of the Volvo styling and removed the ugly lol.

68EFIvert;5260985 said:
I too k a little video of the car today. I tried to incorporate as many details as I could. I also took some pictures of the door next to the window. We had to build it out since the wing windows will be deleted for a one piece door glass. That should really clean up the look.
7a3a645f85c3ca848cda7d4c19358436.jpga4085884c3804d838dcbb75b687143b9.jpg
Now I need to figure out how to load the video.........

Daaaamn! That is amazing.

I've always loved the 1800, but that is how it should look.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Like I said, you have removed all the ugly from the original body. That thing is so streamlined and sleek.

I love that particular Volvo.

I was thinking of doing a Spitfire and the other night I had a lady on my van to Vegas ask me if I wanted to come pick up her basket case spitfire. I accepted and am waiting to hear back from her when she returns from Hawaii.

I am excited and can't wait! I really don't care how many pieces it is in, free is always good!

It will definitely get a V8, with a 5 spd and some kind of independent rear. I am going to go a different direction with my 65 so I can finish it faster.

Mel

mel, a buick 215 V8 and T5 slip in quite nicely. do us falcon guys a favor and take the mustang T5 and the S-10 T5 and swap the tail shaft housings. that put the shifter where you need it in the spitfire and you also get the GM bolt pattern for mounting to the bell housing, and us falcon guys also get a trans with the shifter where we need it to clear a structural support and we get the ford bell mounting pattern.

as for building an old volvo, i have thought of doing that as well, but i would use a P444 or a P544, and swap in a 289/302/C4 combo, and build it to look like a small 46 merc.

86f6b22998ed074e550c648cc547a424.png

The car is finally up on the frame jig at the suspension shop. Now the fun part will begin! The more I have looked at the new suspension from Ron Sutton Race Technologies the more I am impressed with it. It has very similar design characteristics as the road race cars at the chassis shop. Everything is heavy duty from the steering rack to tie rods to control arms to spindles. Everything!

If you are looking for the absolute best suspension for these cars look no further. It is not a simple bolt in but it should unsurpassed when it is together. I will post specifics about the handling once the car is on the road.

http://shop.ronsuttonracetechnology.com
The front valance has been removed to make the removal and replacement of the suspension easier. The factory valance is only slightly lower than what is showing now. Mine must be about 5" lower in the front.

Last edited:
Back