• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New Project! 1968 Volvo P1800 "Bullwinkle"

I do think it was rear ended. They did a nice job straightening the frame but didn't have the same degree of care with the sheet metal.

I have purchased a few metal working tools and have given it some thought to get an English wheel. I am just not sure I can get the type of work to the caliber I expect. I do have a bead roller and shrinker/stretcher machines. They will come in handy for the floor, firewall, trans tunnel and wheel houses. A buddy of mine (TonyR on SF) has a planishing hammer I can borrow. I am thinking if using trailer fenders for the start of my tubs. I still need to do some measuring for that plan.

It sure was. Between the bondo and the heavy undercoating I think the car is about 100 lbs lighter. :yah The good news is the rust was very minimal.

After looking over the car with the the body he thinks the car won't need new panels. We plan on raising the wheel arches to the body line so I will cut ou the worst part. After the car got into primer it doesn't look quite as bad. :)

5 minutes after the tow truck dropped her off at my house i had the grinder and plasma cutter out. i started taking out the inner wheel well to prepare for the mini-tub. I hope to gain about an inch to the inside and about the same or perhaps a little more on the outside. I really don't want large flares on the car. I want to look close to stock but with slightly more bulge to the fender. Here are a few pictures of her.
nu6upydu.jpg

It looks like I will need a DS floor and a couple patches on the PS
u9yjuvy4.jpg
ame9uva8.jpg

We'll have to see how are this goes. I hope it is contained the the fender but it looks a little deeper than that.
7age4u3a.jpg

The worst of the rust is in the trunk.
a8ujybeg.jpg
a7e9yqe8.jpg

I will need to fix some horrible old repairs.
ezudybus.jpg
ure2u5ap.jpg
agugybyv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The blue one is the inspiration for my build. It should look pretty good when its done! Thanks for the pics.

It has been a very busy week so not much to show. I did pick up my new tires on Thursday and finally got my rear brakes from Wilwood. The brakes are14" with 4 piston calipers. This car should stop on a dime!

ugy3ebyp.jpg

jytaqe3u.jpg

WOOOOWWWWWWW
one has too many cash here

Thats looking very sharp man :thu :thu :thu :thu :thu :thu

I finished one side and started the other. I am tracking the time on the 2nd side and so far 45 min to remove the inner tub. Plasma cutters sure are handy. :)

I haven't done any grinding work so it still looks a bit rough. It should clean up well. I also need to box in where I trimmed the spring pocket.
I jacked my 265 tire in place to get a rough idea of what I have. I will take off a bit more from the spring pocket but an very pleased so far. It looks like a 265 will fit without a problem and could go bigger with a flare and more trimming.

e8u6e2es.jpg

ubumy8e2.jpg

u8aqy6ap.jpg

I finished one side and started the other. I am tracking the time on the 2nd side and so far 45 min to remove the inner tub. Plasma cutters sure are handy. :)

I haven't done any grinding work so it still looks a bit rough. It should clean up well. I also need to box in where I trimmed the spring pocket.
I jacked my 265 tire in place to get a rough idea of what I have. I will take off a bit more from the spring pocket but an very pleased so far. It looks like a 265 will fit without a problem and could go bigger with a flare and more trimming.

e8u6e2es.jpg

ubumy8e2.jpg

u8aqy6ap.jpg

e8u6e2es.jpg

ubumy8e2.jpg

u8aqy6ap.jpg

My wheels finally came in today. I may have to try these out on my Mustang...
7u7avyty.jpg

ge4emugy.jpg

Well I was a little conservative with the wheels on the rear. I don't mind where the outside of the tire is but I have about an extra inch on the inside I should have used up. I think I could have put on 10" wide wheels and about a 295 tire. Oh well.

The front are really close. I could have done about 1/4" less back spacing there. The car is about an inch high in the back but will settle with more weight in the car. The front is about 2-3" higher than the end rise height. Overall I think they hit the bulls eye
vujezeby.jpg
asequte2.jpg
9avunu4e.jpg
ma4yva3u.jpg
4y9e8uzy.jpg
!

Back