• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New Project! 1968 Volvo P1800 "Bullwinkle"

Yea. All the wheel wells will be raised to just below the body line. I am thinking about bulging the rear fenders like TCP did on their track Mustang. I'll let the body shop do that though.

I picked up some seats today. They are Recaro seats from an E21 BMW. Looks like they'll need covers but to be in great shape other than that. I paid $225 for them. I will need to get some sliders and brackets for them. I will likely go to Wedge for those unless someone here has another suggestion.
papygaqe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm making a little progress on the firewall. I've got the majority of it cut back to the vertical section of the battery box. I narrowed the pedal assembly by 2 inches and have mocked in the steering column. I will be using an Ididit column. I need to double check some measurements before welding everything together. I won't be able to do the new transmission tunnel until I get the engine and transmission in. I hope to get the engine by the end of April. I need to make sure the IRS is happy before I buy that. :)
ery3a8ap.jpg

I had to modify my plans for my pedal assembly. I originally planned to use a Wilwood pedal assembly but I ran into interference problems with the master cylinders. I will be using the original pedal but I will be converting it to a hydroboost system. I plan on retrofitting a hydroboost system from a Chevy Astro van. It should be here in the next few days and then I'll be able to do a little bit more mocking and hopefully welding.

"RapidRabbit" said:
Very cool! I love the old Volvos.
The p1800 is a great looking car. I almost bought one a few years ago.

I can't wait to see pics.

Ditto ditto ditto! And adding v8 power is off da hook! :pbj

I got a little bit more work done to the firewall today. I don't think I'll be able to do much more until I get my engine and transmission though. I also plan to work on putting in my hydroboost in this weekend.
6ajemepa.jpg

My Budnik steering wheel finally arrived today!
rumabuja.jpg

I got a bit more done today. The hydroboost is fitted, some more smoothing, grinding and welding. I still need to fill the holes for the original coil and an old heater related hole on the top. The hydroboost should clear the engine but I am not going to do anything else until I have the engine in place.

I have to wait until I figure out my tax liability before I buy the engine. Once that is done I will pick up the engine. I have to have my ACL and meniscus repaired on Thursday so I will be out of commission for a little while.
syzytegy.jpg

e5unu6yz.jpg

Nice looking work! I agree with putting things on hold, that hydroboost has the potential of causing problems.... Is it possible to turn the hydroboost 180 degrees? Looks like there would be better clearance that way.

I actually think the hydroboost will clear the valve covers. It should be pretty close though. If my measurements are correct it will be slightly higher than the valve covers. I tried mounting the hydroboost the other direction but I ran into clearance issues with the hoses. One of the hoses interfere's with inner fender well. I suppose if nothing else works I could run a hose in and out of the fender well to run the hydroboost.

Looks great, nice work on that firewall. Be careful when you look into getting the seats redone, they are like seven pieces per seat and that makes them much more expensive to recover. I bought a set for my Mustang and quickly sold them once i got an estimate....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am budgeting a fair amount for the interior. There is a guy up here in WA that recovers Recaro seats and have seen him advertise leather covers for $400. I may have him make me a set. I plan on a totally custom interior for this car. I am into the seats $225 and figure they will be about $700 to cover. Still way better than a new pair that would have run me $2,200.

Darreld...this is going to be such a sweet ride...

I think you need a inspirational rendering of the what the end result will be... :roll

Seriously, it's coming along amazingly. I can't wait to see it on the road...

I have actually thinking og having you do one for me. I am not sure what color it will be though. How much would a rendering run me? PM me if you would like.

I just sent off some money for my new engine. LS3 with 520+ hp. :thu Should be a kick in the pants to drive. 2700 or so lbs and that much HP will be real fun on and autocross!

Those LS style engines sure make a lot of "easy" HP/TQ for a push rod motor. Durable too. Hmmmmm.......

Super nice project ya got there. Very impressive work so far.

My engine finally shipped out on Friday. I hope it will be here by next weekend. I have a lot of family obligations in the next week so I won't be able to look at it for a couple more weeks.
te6eqy9e.jpg

I went to the Portland Swap Meet today and got a killer deal on a new Vintage Air Front Runner accessory drive system. That will take about 3 weeks to show up. It looks like I need to follow up with my tranny guy now.

An exciting day today. My engine arrived! The tranny will be late next week and the accessory drive in a couple more. My biggest thing now is waiting for the headers and motor mounts. Hope to have those by the end of the month. Once they arrive my knee will be strong enough for the final firewall and trans tunnel fabrication.
tu6abemy.jpg

Back