• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New shop

Changed gears on the construction. We originally planned a pole barn but ran in to rock on the back wall. Had to rent a jack hammer to get it down to grade. So, now we are stick framing it. Should go quick after the pad is poured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3e6a752866b907edf2418d07143aafd5.jpg

Looking good if you have any thoughts of putting a lift in then you need to check what floor thickness is required. It's easier now than later.

Are you putting in a good drain at the base of the hill so that water will be diverted away from the garage?

Yeah. If you look at the pics we are putting in a retaining wall then sock drain. My earthworks guy is coming back to dress the hill next week. We’re hoping to take some of the steepness out.

Need some advice on lift placement. I want it in one corner taking up as little space as possible. I’m thinking 6 feet off the back wall and 2 off the side wall? My only garage door will be directly in front of it.

2 feet from a side wall may not be enough for you to fully open a door; let along trying to walk along that wall with an open door. That's even if you don't put anything along that wall, like shelving, workbench, etc. In a garage, I view the side walls as high priority spaces: working area, storage, stacking, hanging stuff, etc. The exact center of the garage is typically lower priority, and usually can only be used once a vehicle sits over that spot.

You going to put in AC, heat?

Putting in a wood stove. In researching I think 30 inches off the side wall and 10 to 12 foot off the back wall is probably right.

Wife has threatened to let me spend the money to put central heat/air in... that’s an expense I don’t want lol.

Lift has been removed from the budget on the build but still building the pad in anticipation of putting one in.

For Heat and AC look at your local suppliers for a scratch and dent, they usually give some really deep discounts on them. Also most types of furnaces need to be put on a platform elevated off the floor. This is to help prevent accidental fires that can be caused by gas fumes. Gasoline fumes are heavier than air alone and tend to accumulate close to the floor.

Yeah. If you look at the pics we are putting in a retaining wall then sock drain. My earthworks guy is coming back to dress the hill next week. We’re hoping to take some of the steepness out.

Need some advice on lift placement. I want it in one corner taking up as little space as possible. I’m thinking 6 feet off the back wall and 2 off the side wall? My only garage door will be directly in front of it.

Give it more than 2 feet on the side. I did three and built shelves. I wish I'd done four.

Looks good!

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I put everything in a CAD program until it all fits as best as possible. Figuring out what everything is, is the problem. My wants keep growing: lift, mill, lathe, welder, blast cabinet, parts cleaner, engine hoist, engine stand, oil drain tank, shelves, cabinets, work bench, brake/shear/roller, compressor. Don't forget all the junk that takes up floor space like a wheelbarrow, a weed and feed spreader, shovels, rakes, tall jack stands (because you don't trust a two post lift), and that damn exercise bike that SWMBO does not want to get rid of. Furnace/AC, water heater, dehumidifier, sink, and that's just the downstairs garage. Oh and don't forget a computer. Make the garage bigger, and give it a bigger electrical service.

Last edited:
I put everything in a CAD program until it all fits as best as possible. Figuring out what everything is, is the problem. My wants keep growing: lift, mill, lathe, welder, blast cabinet, parts cleaner, engine hoist, engine stand, oil drain tank, shelves, cabinets, work bench, brake/shear/roller, compressor. Don't forget all the junk that takes up floor space like a wheelbarrow, a weed and feed spreader, shovels, rakes, tall jack stands (because you don't trust a two post lift), and that damn exercise bike that SWMBO does not want to get rid of. Furnace/AC, water heater, dehumidifier, sink, and that's just the downstairs garage. Oh and don't forget a computer. Make the garage bigger, and give it a bigger electrical service.

I have a garden shed also. It’s probably 18x20. Never measured it so not sure. It’s been a catch all at the moment but we are cleaning it and redoing the doors for a garden shed.

ae4354613507577f68cddd0fc83c5adf.jpg
78368c6b7f626739e52e958c63e14b44.jpg
70fb784f02aee78f0077c7ecae774be2.jpg

Back