• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New smell and an explanation I've never heard

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
The rotors on the 93 Exploder were warping, so I had my trusty mechanic throw on new rotors and pads. SWMBO picked up the car and complained of a bad smell in the garage. I took the car on a short drive around the block and pulled into the garage, and I smelled a burning smell coming from the front.

I took the car back to the mechanic, and he thought it was just the pads outgassing. I've never heard such a thing, but we agreed that if the smell was still there after a couple of days to bring it back in. The smell was definitely coming from both front wheel areas. I've never heard of brakes smelling...

Only when they are sticking or the fluid is contaminated.

Check to make sure he did not kink a hose. Look at your fluid and see if it looks contaminated.

You've never heated up a set of brake pads until they smell? Someone ought to teach you how to drive:p

Seriously though, pads do smell sometimes. I've run into it a couple times. Depends on the pad composition and how hot they get. But yes, if they keep doing it under normal driving conditions, bring it back. Could possibly be that they're the wrong pad compound and they're overheating.

Today, I got under the car, looking for possible brake fluid leaks and found none. I jacked the car up, and both front wheels turned freely, so no sticking caliper. I told Wifey to keep her nose on it...we'll sniff carefully in the near future.

I still think the mechanic was eating a burrito and dropped a portion of it into the calipers.

"Midlife" said:
Today, I got under the car, looking for possible brake fluid leaks and found none. I jacked the car up, and both front wheels turned freely, so no sticking caliper. I told Wifey to keep her nose on it...we'll sniff carefully in the near future.

They usually don't stick until they get heated up a bit.

Back