• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Newb Question

manley

First off, I don't know jack about paint.

I won't be able to buy an air compressor and paint tools this year, but I'm going to have a rotisserie at my house so I can finish welding everything under the car. I'm curious if primer and paint can be applied in an effective way to the bottom without using air guns? It doesn't need to be a perfect finish, but it needs to protect the metal. I guess the same goes for the the interior which will be covered by carpet and trim.

Anything you guys can teach me is appreciated!

Thanks!

You can use a paint brush or roller, but it won't look good at all.

It's costly but you could use something like POR 15 to paint the underside with a brush. It would serve to protect the metal not just from rust but would hold up extremely well to chipping, etc. long term. It won't be a flat and shiny surface but that is only needed on a "show car". If you turned it bottom-side up on the rottisserie it might level out better.

I don't think I would recommend the same for the interior simply because of the cost. You can get two-part rattle can epoxy primer for that area.

On bare metal ....one kind of paint ......epoxy primer....... my 0.02 eurocent

I'm not planning to go with POR 15 or other similar products. Much of my car is new metal, so regular paint products should do the trick. Especially since the car will be a fair weather driver for the rest of its life.

It sounds like I may just have to hold off until I can spring for the proper equipment. Right now, taking my kids to the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, and Mt Rushmore is more important! :thum

I may continue to look for pictures of the results people have achieved with a brush or roller...

Thanks guys!

Back