• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Newbie in MN

Knapper

Well fairly new to classic cars, but new to the forum. Quick intro...

I grew up in the 70's dreaming and drawing classic cars. I loved them all...including Camaro's, GTOs, Challengers. But the 67 Shelby was my favorite. Unfortunately, by the time I got my drivers license, the cars of the early 80's did not have the same appeal and my attention was drawn elsewhere...girls, sports, school. Then came college, career, kids, blah, blah, blah. Well, I had my mid life crisis about 2 1/2 years ago and "accidentally" bid on a 2007 Shelby GT500 40th Anniversary...a long, funny story (at least to everyone but my wife....that was a fun conversation). My kids, my dad and I drove down to Chicago to look it over and complete the transaction....It was a wonderful ride home!

Although the Shelby is great car, it didn't satisfy my desire for a real classic car, so the following year I purchased a 1967 390 Coupe and now the bug has gotten me. It is a decent driver but does need a little attention and could use some freshening up. My oldest son and I have worked together to rebuild the calipers, change the pads, clean up the engine, etc...It has been a fun experience that I am looking to build upon.

My hopes are to continue filling my stable by someday getting the 1967 Fastback & Convertible...both S codes. Who knows, maybe I will even eventually be able to get the coveted 1967 Shelby GT500 someday.

Although I enjoyed working on cars with my dad when I was younger - my dad is more of a gear head and is currently building a 65 Cobra - I am not a mechanic by any means and don't have any of the specialized skills..welding and body work. However, I have a problem solving mentality and like to take things apart. I am really looking forward to pursing the hobby and learning more skills in the hopes of taking on more of a project someday. First step is to buy a shop space so I have ample room to work and that will hopefully come to fruition over the next 9 months.

I am looking forward to learning from all of the wisdom I have found on this and other forums. Who knows, maybe someday I will even have knowledge to contribute to the forum and others. In fact, if anyone wants to know what brackets and pulleys are NOT used on a 67 S code, I can start helping now...I have a work bench full of them:)

Cheers!
Bill

Last edited:
First off, welcome to the Fix.

You are fortunate to have found your way into this hobby when you have as the internet has dramatically changed the way people learn about and work on their cars. Information that was near non-existent back in the day is now readily available on virtually any subject. Just remember...filter, filter, filter...question question, question...EVERYTHING. We do a fairly good job of policing ourselves here. As a matter of fact catching each other in BS is part of the fun. No one here will ever steer you wrong intentionally at least. The rest of the Net should be treated as the Wild West in that regard.

I do caution you though that just because something looks easy in a Youtube video rarely works out that way. That said, never be afraid to screw up. It's how we learn. Look at our friend {.}. Everything he does is a learning experience in that sense!

Welcome to the hobby of wrenching
Seriously it can quite satisfying....
and frustrating too

I must confess that I have no experience working on Mustangs or even Fords but I do have a lot of experience working on Jeeps.
Skills which I expect to use helping a buddy of mine get his 73 Mustang on the road.

Knapper I suggest you begin buying some tools and finding somebody local who is experienced and can guide you in your repairs.

Before getting into this wrenching hobby my skills were limited to oil changes. Now I feel comfortable pulling out a differential out of an axle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The skills you say you're lacking are easily learned and are not rocket science. If a schmoe like me can learn how to weld, do body work, mount doors perfectly in 30minutes, then you can too! Look into taking classes at a Vocational Education center for MIG welding; it's quick to learn and will be a skill you've learned for life. Oh yeah, save up your money for tools, because you'll never have enough tools!

Welcome aboard. This is a great group of pretty smart people with lots of hard knocks experience.

And then there's Terry, who's "special".

Thanks guys...it's nice to see some familiar names from VMF. I am looking forward to expanding the learning curve.

I have been working with the welder a bit over the past year. I have a blasting cabinet, 30g compressor, etc...along with the requisite timing light, multi-meter, vacuum gauges. I am sure there will be plenty more to buy. Fortunately, as I mentioned, my dad is in the process of building a Factory 5 Cobra and has quite the set up at his house...including a 4 post lift. He and I built a '29 Mercedes kit car when I was in junior high....well, I got to tear parts off the donor car, clean them 'til my fingers were raw, and paint them...he actually did the building:) I changed plenty of plug, t-stats and normal stuff in our '78 Grand Prix, along with the driver door my sister tore off (took a lot longer than 30 min though:)). So, at least I am not starting at ground zero...plus the 67 is in fairly decent shape to start with.

I have posted a few pictures of my cars in the gallery, but administrator has to give his blessing so here are a couple.

2007 Shelby 40th Anniversary.jpg Front View.JPG Rear View.JPG Front-driverside full view.jpg

Back