• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

"No sleeping policy"

Dne'

Our oldest daughter began teaching her first year this year after finally graduating(you know, many years of school, lots of money spent, etc)! She's teaching 9th grade Biology/science. She was written up yesterday as an assistant principle passed by and noticed one of her students was asleep on his/her desk. As I understand, the AP said that there is a No Sleeping policy here in this school! There's an actual written up policy??? Someone went to the effort of making something like this a "policy"! What "other" policy's have they come up with?????

To me this sounded like something from a Monty Python script or South Park episode! Just goes to show you where the priorities have gone! no dicipline at home or school! No common sense remaining here! I feel so badly for my baby having to teach these little brats and her superiors treating her like a kindergarten age kid! How degrading! I'm still in a defense mode for my children~ :rant I'd like to kick an AP's ass!

and yet had she "punished" the kid FOR sleeping, she would have been reprimanded for that!

My mother in law has been a teacher for... wow.. YEARS. She was my husbands 3rd grade teacher! She taught 3rd grade for a long while, then went to teaching 7th grade and has been doing that for a while now. Lets just say.. she put in her retirement papers and this is her last year teaching. She had enough of the BS (rules, policies, students, parents, etc).

Has she checked their handbook? If it's policy, it better be in writing.

My wife is a high school teacher and the horror stories I hear daily make my skin crawl.

My grandson is in 11th.....A & B student. Most all of his teachers tell the kids that once their work is completed, they can do as they want as long as it is quiet. He sleeps, texts, reads, listens to his religious music, or whatever. His mother, (our daughter) was not raised that way and we still don't agree. She says that it is hard to battle the problem when the teachers/school allow it to happen. Our grandson says he knows he can do constructive things and at times does........ Teachers need to challenge the kids that finish work sooner. It seems like laziness on both sides.....teachers/school....kids/parents.

Just like real life Pete. If in the department I buckled down and worked my a$$ off and finished the assignment early, I got much more work then the other guy in the same pay grade that couldn't. My response was to bus my a$$ and hold the assignment until the due date and then turn it in right on time.

I never got anything to reflect being done early on any evaluation, (all four or five of them in nearly 20 years) or even a thank you.

You know 80% of the people do 20% of the work and 20% of the people do 80% of the work.

As far as policy for no sleeping, I am hoping they have it in the handbook of rules they gave Dne's daughter when she hired on, if not shame on them and she will need to file a grievance and have it removed.

Mel

"guruatbol" said:
You know 80% of the people do 20% of the work and 20% of the people do 80% of the work.

That sounds familiar. Seems that the folks I work with spend more time complaining "it's not my job", than doing actual work. Yet somehow, everything ends up being my responsibility, even though there are things that are really not supposed to be.

I had a teacher in HS that would let a student that fell asleep, keep sleeping and she would make us all be very quiet. When class was over she would make sure we didn't wake them so that when they did wake up they were in the wrong class and late for their next class which would be unexcused. I'm sure the students that it happened to never fell asleep again in her class!

Historically, this is nothing new! It's just that you don't punish a teacher~ how demeaning! Then the mere fact that some brilliant person came up with an actual No sleeping policy. In that case they should have made contracts that the kids have to sign stating they will not sleep in class or suffer the consequences(but there are limited consequences as no teacher, parent, nor anyone can punish(wrong word) the individual! I rememeber trying to do what I could to close my eyes while the teacher wasn't looking, but never would I fall asleep!

of course there have to other policies in affect:
No Chewing gum
No farting policy
No Cell phone usage unless a crime is being commited in class(shooting, stabbing, etc) so it can be documeted policy
No firearms policy
No graphic sexual acts in class policy
you get the idea, you guys pretty much could come up with all kind of Policies!

But funny enough, these apply to adults as well in the workplace or in college or ANYWHERE! so I guess "policies" have to be in place in case someone comes into a store carrying a automatic machine gun~ and they're told you can't bring that in here! And the person says, "where's the policy saying I can't?" Oh well, he's got a point! There was no policy written or in view so it should have been ok! lol

I keep going back to the movie "Idiocracy" and mark my word! that's where the world is headed! one stupid planet of morons with bird brains! These are the people running our country! Many of the kids today will be in charge when we're old n grey~ heaven help us :shrug Cell phones and the internet and crappy TV are the new educators of todays children~ we haven't a chance!

Something else about schools and policies.. Did you know (at least here in TX) the teacher/school cannot report illegal immigrants?

My wife can't even have pepper spray in her purse while on campus, but that didn't stop me from giving her some to keep on her. There's not a lot of security at her school and there's been a few teachers jumped in the parking lot, and they can't have anything to protect themselves.

"Gigantopithecus" said:
That sounds familiar. Seems that the folks I work with spend more time complaining "it's not my job", than doing actual work. Yet somehow, everything ends up being my responsibility, even though there are things that are really not supposed to be.

Welcome to my world....

"Kats66Pny" said:
Something else about schools and policies.. Did you know (at least here in TX) the teacher/school cannot report illegal immigrants?

How would they know?

"Jack1966" said:
How would they know?

In NC, you have to present a birth certificate and immunization record. Those would be a big clue. What other documentation would a child have (SS card shows name, but not age)?

Back