• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

No taillights?

"Fast68back" said:
Mid is correct, however he kept saying at the end of the steering column and the plugs are actually behind the kick panel. I kept looking for black plugs, not black wires. Pete is correct they two can not be connected incorrectly because the genders do not match. Both the plugs had the connecting/guide tabs broken. I just didnt look close enough at the wires to realize what I had done wrong.

What a politician! He has everyone being correct!

Okay, since you all are sharpened up on the whole electrical troubelshooting thing, except Dave's fan switch turning on his radio or something like that, I am still having an issue.
If you recall I had blinking or intermittent dash lights when sitting at a stop light. That also turned out to be my brake lights as I learned later. Ultimately the the brake lights quit working and it turned out to be the turn signal switch. Well in the process of switching to the 68 steering column I used the 68 turn signal switch and all was good! Now my instrument lights are blinking again!!! I'm afraid I will soon fry another turn signal switch and those are around $100! Any idea what's causing my turn signal switch to fry? I do have an underdrive pulley at the crank so the ALT runs slow at idle. I also have added two extra bulbs on each side of the tail lights (Cougar Lights = 3 bulbs per side). I have a new dimer switch, headlight switch and turn signal switch and the headlights have been hooked up with relays. I think that covers it all...

oh, battery is in the trunk also if that matters, my heater fan switch is okay, back-up lights work good, horn works, all fusues and bulbs are good. The only other thing that doesn't work is the cig lighter but I haven't worried about it. My original horns didn't work but the circut is okay, it's the actual horns. Okay I think that's everything. Thanks.

What type regulator and how old. Is it just the dash lights pulsing or are the headlight, tail light and interior lights also pulsing? Just at idle with NO turn signal on?

I would look at regulator and associated plugs/connections. Could be the idle speed being reduced just is to slow to produce enough power.

"AzPete" said:
What type regulator and how old. Is it just the dash lights pulsing or are the headlight, tail light and interior lights also pulsing? Just at idle with NO turn signal on?

I would look at regulator and associated plugs/connections. Could be the idle speed being reduced just is to slow to produce enough power.
ALT and regulator replaced last year, it's an electronic regulator. Headlights are not affected. It does it without having the turn signals on. I also belived the power at idle might be the issue the first time but why would that cause the turn signal switch to fail (brake lights only)? I don't see an issue with the connections, what should I look for? Thanks

As long as the connections are clean and solid, they should be of.

I think the t/s failure my have been coincidence. I think the idle speed is the problem.

When the lights pulse, try bringing the idle up just until it stops pulsing. Use the idle adj. screw. With that known RPM difference, you can then calculate just how slow the alt. is turning with your pulley setup. Then, compare that to the alt specs for output speeds and see where it stands.

That is what I think he needs to consider. Finding the proper output rpm of the alt and see if it is running there.

"Midlife" said:
Well, all of your taillight power (brakes, turn signals) comes through the brake light switch, so if it ain't connected, you're gonna get squat. The e-flasher bypasses the brake light switch.

That said, your headlights should provide running lights, which don't go through the turn signal switch. Your backup lights should be completely independent of your headlight switch, turn signal switch, and brake light switch. Most aftermarket LED tailight systems won't work with standard flashers, because there's not enough resistance for the flashers to work. Some will work as long as your front lights haven't been changed to LEDs.

You need an 'electrical guru to go through your wiring and make sure it's correct. Golly gee, I wish I could recommend someone...

Does this apply also to a '65 regarding the Brake light switch being hooked up for power?

Back