• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Not Pretty!

Patrick Stapler

Car started running rough this week. Ran great down the road. Didn't want to idle at a stop light or sign. Changed plugs this morning. Fired right up ran smooth. Drove to lunch started running really rough. Stumbling under acceleration really badly. Popped the hood and saw this. Also appears to be leaking at bottom edge of head. Nothing but oil on the dipstick.

DE50DF5A-A5DD-46D7-9A6F-B82013CB471A_zpssibkxtrk.jpg

Geez, well...looks like that twin turbo Ecoboost swap is getting moved up the list.

Have you done a compression test? Prolly a waste since you know its a head gasket.

Not recently. Thank goodness my K-Spec 289 should be ready in a week or so. Toploader is ready as well. The $hit sandwich is I drive my car every day. So now I have to find something to drive.

I forgot to add, I know the compression is bad already. It's a OE 240K mile engine that had never been touched until I replaced the timing chain last year...it had over 1" of slop.

See, that engine woulda went 400k+ but you had to go and replace the timing chain. lol

Good to hear you have a new engine already lined up. I know how much it sucks to have things break on your only vehicle.

Leak was definitely the timing chain cover. Loose bolt. I'm guessing not related to the rough idle or stumble. Removed 4100 and disassembled it. Couldn't find anything wrong with it. Floats were good. Squirters were working. Replaced the PV for good measure. Put it all back together. Hooked up my timing light which powered up, but no strobe. Increased RPM, strobe came on...odd. Never seen this before. Strobe would not engage until around 1000 RPM. Curb idle is set at 575-600 in gear on my car. Disconnected coil checked it...2 ohms. Started running compression check at number 5...engine hot...flex hose stuck. Will continue after it cools and I can remove the flex hose.

Can it be that the intake manifold "leak" when the engine is hot ? use brake cleaner and spray around the intake, I would suggest.

I wouldn't say it's not a possibility. However, I fought the good fight about a year ago trying not to install a spacer between my 4100 and FMS HiRise Cobra Intake when I did in fact have a leak there. Installed a 1/2" phenolic spaced...problem solved.

I really think I am down a cylinder. It's running like I have a plug wire pulled. Hopefully I can finish the compression test tonight. From there I will pull the valve covers and make sure all the rocker geometry is moving accordingly.

New engine is only a couple weeks out.

You can't even really find a used long block to stab in these days. It's been what' 16 years since a 5.0 was put in anything?

Finally got back to this today. Got the compression gauge flex hose removed. Had to cut the hose and clamp some vice grips on the remains to get it out. Anyway...reinstalled #5 plug. Pulled #1, completely coated in oil. Intalled a new one. Ran for about 10 minutes...enough to bring the engine up to temp. Removed...completely coated in oil. Installed my inline spark tester...not so good. #1 and #2 cylinder vids below. Connected timing light to all other cylinders and all fire and register RPM and strobe the light immediately...#1 does not.

Back