• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Nowhere to go, and getting there at 90 mph...

After a break in the really crap weather we've had all spring, today was an absolutely beautiful day. The ‘stang was in good shape;washed and with a full tank of gas. The wife went shopping with her sister (my credit card still in my wallet); the kids were out of the house and not expected back for days (or weeks if we're lucky); and I had finished all my chores...
Sooooo...
I hit the road, with no particular place to go.

I was feeling good about driving in broad daylight again, having just installed a set of LED Tail lights (NPD #13465-67K, and they work real good) so I decided to head north on the autobahn. Cruising easily at 80-90 mph, the motor felt smooth and strong, and it sounded good. I was in the right lane just watching all the stressed-out yuppies flying past on the left in their Benzes, Beamers, Opels, and Audis. Talk about stress relief: no oil spill, no financial crisis and no terrorism. Just me and a great American car from the 60’s flying through southern Germany. I had all the windows down to enjoy that hardtop feeling.

After a while, I left the ‘bahn to burble through countless sleepy villages and scenic country lanes. Sometimes at 30 mph, sometimes at 60. Most of the farmers had just mowed their meadows, so the smell was delicious. My exhaust echoed off the brick walls, at times so close to the car that I could reach out and touch them. Thumbs-up and smiles, from pedestrians and scooter riders, some old, some young.

Once in a while I’d see another “oldtimer� (cars more than 30 years old and close to stock condition can be registered as “oldtimers�, or historical vehicles here. As such they enjoy certain tax and emission advantages) coming the other way. Nice cars, but not a single one of them had the rhythm of an American V8 beating beneath the hood (or trunk lid.).

I bought my first, and only, Mustang in late 2007, shortly before turning 50 years old. I had long dreamed of how it would feel to do just what I did today.

Now, I can’t wait for tomorrow...

Awesome story David!! There really is nothing like it.

I am very jealous. Southern Germany is beautiful! I visit Munich at least once a year to see my sister and nephew. Wish I could visit in my Mustang!

What a beautiful place to go for a drive. Were you anywhere near parts of the Rhine or Romantic Road? Cool.

Very cool story! :vic How about a couple of pics next time for those of us stuck over here. Thanks, gary.

Back