• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Oil seeping around timing cover

Fst Blk

Freshly assembled 351w. Getting some oils seepage around the cover bolts. What did I miss?

I'm assuming front timing cover? The gasket covers the full face with cut-outs around the bolt holes. Did you get sloppy with assembly lube and it is wicking down the bolts, maybe? No normal oil passageways would have oil reaching the threaded bolts holes. What bolts exhibit the oil?

It's the lower passenger side. I didn't get sloppy. I used permatex black. I let it set up with gasket on the block then used it again before the cover.

Did you let the permatex dry with just the gasket? It should be tightened down before the sealer cures.

I'm at a loss for where the oil is coming from. Sitting on a stand or even in the car normal oil level wouldn't reach that high. I don't think I would be too alarmed, honestly. If you sealed it properly as described what you are seeing will not be an issue.

I wonder if it's from where I pre oiled the timing chain with Lucas and regular oil? I did flip it over after that to install the oil pan.

Did you center the cover when installing? The balancer needs to fit exactly dead center in the front seal. If you want to DIY a centering tool, you'll need a couple 3-4 inch pieces of PVC pipe, one piece in 1-1/4" and one piece in 1-1/2". The actual ID of 1-1/4" PVC is 1.380", which is only slightly larger than a SBF crank snout, at 1.375". The actual OD of 1-1/2" PVC is 1.90", or just slightly larger than the balancer OD of 1.875".

Take the piece of 1-1/4" PVC and cut a 1/4" slot lengthwise through the piece. The crankshaft key is 3/16" wide, so you'll see why in a minute. Now, the ID of 1-1/2" PVC is 1.610" which is slightly SMALLER than the OD of 1-1/4" PVC, which is 1.660". This is why we make the keyslot a bit larger as we're going to insert the piece of 1-1/4" PVC inside the piece of 1-1/2" PVC and the piece of 1-1/4" pipe needs to "shrink" a bit. You can glue it if you choose to do so. Lastly, bevel the edge of the tool on the end you choose to insert into the front seal so you don't pop the spring out of place. Use a bit of vaseline as a lubricant. It's a good idea to insert the tool into the cover FIRST then install the cover. Snug up all the bolts, then tighten and then remove the tool. If you're working with a late-model block you'll have alignment dowels that perform the centering purpose. Tighten the 4 oil pan to front cover bolts LAST.

Back