• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Old Tires and Safety Issues

Sacbill

Hard Swinger
A buddy sent me this video link about old tires and safety issues. They're basically saying that any tire older than six years is a ticking time bomb on your car. Haven't checked the ages on my tires yet....

Anyone else heard about this or dealt with it?

Basic dating code works out this way: Look for the 3- or 4-digit code at the end of the string starting with "DOT." 3-digit codes built in the 90s, 4-digit built in this decade. Examples: 233 = tire made in the 23rd week of 1993; 0604 = tire made in the 6th week of 2004

Aged Tires: A driving hazard?

----------------
Currently playing on the Rock Show: Lucero - That Much Further West

Yep.

Had a 75 Monte Carlo in 83 that still had the original spare in the trunk. I had to run it to get home one night and it made it 5 miles before the tread separated and destroyed the inner fender and tore up the fender and paint half way back on the door.

Mounted on the front I'm glad I was only going about 50 when it come apart.

I believe I saw a dateline story on this a while back, I was working at a ford dealership years ago during the firestone 500 problems they had with the complete tread peeling off, scary.

You will hear of stories of those running old tires with no problems......just luck. When I worked in a tire shop as sales, that was a hard one to get people to understand. Owner finally decided not to repair out of date tires, based on the manufactures statements. A daily driver should never end up with out date tires. Watch what you buy, especially at local, small discount houses. Shops that move tons of tires fast would be no problem. They can have all sorts of problems that can make you wreck so check them for sure.

Back