• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

OMG! When it rains, it pours!

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
My harness restoration business was slowing down just a tad, but I was still busy restoring 1-2 harnesses per month. Since the Pensacola Mustang Show was scheduled for March, I decided to take a chance and set up a table for my services and possibly sell a harness or two, if I was lucky. The cost of the booth was $30. Just before the show, I got a '67 and a '68 to convert to tach harnesses, and a '67 and a '68 tach harness each to refurbish. I managed to get 80% done on the '67 conversion and finish the '67 tach.

I got a lot of interest, and nearly went through 70 or so business cards, but no sales. The Florida Tax Revenue Service came by and said you have to report your sales and give us 7.5% tax. Fortunately, I didn't have to pay anything, but I did file the report.

Tubo from the other forum did come by and drop off a 1966 harness for me to work on. Today, when I came home, I had a voice mail for a 69 tach harness that was already mailed. As soon as I took those notes, another call came in for a 68, also mailed in.

Damn...at the end of the week I'll have 6 harnesses lined up in a row for work. That's the biggest backlog I've ever had! Well, this is better than sitting around and/or mowing the damn lawn. I can comfortably do one harness a weekend. If you don't see me posting, you'll know why.

Oh...an interesting side story. Fast Freddy from Jacksonville approached me to work on about 60 of his harnesses. He said he'd send me two harnesses for every one I worked on. However, he wanted all splices concealed within the main loom so they couldn't be seen, and all connectors perfect (no cracks or other aesthetic problems). I explained that although they may look poor to a judge, they are entirely functional, and that for me to make them appear concours correct would at least double my price. Why he wants to re-sell these as concours correctly appearing suggests selling them as NOS or undamaged originals, somewhat sleazy in my mind. He never came back to me to confirm, but I would turn him down.

You bragging or complaining.........

One of the things my Dad always complained about concerning hobbies that involve selling the finished product.....they will eventually DEMAND your time and become less fun, more work, and you end up with more work and less fun............. He did this in jewelry manufacturing, motorcycle accessory production in which I was involved heavily in both. I think of several things to get involved in and then I hear him complaining that he cannot do the fun things he wanted to do. He passed away with this same thought in his mind. I guess I like retirement to much to get tied down........

Enjoyed or visit in Pensacola, especially the meeting of another sites members. :rofl

You gotta be talking about freddie from mustang masters.

I still got part of him broke off in me from some nos 71 mustang outer wheel houses.

Fast Freddie...who else can go around wearing shirts with scriptures on them and screw you at the same time? :naug

Back