• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

On the topic of upgrading lighting wiring

hbar

As stated in another thread, I'm about to tackle the project of adding relays to make the lights brighter. That article recommends replacing all the wiring between the relays and the lights. Sounds like a good idea to me...but what I'm missing is what to do about the connectors to the actual headlights. Those molded plugs have their 18ga. wire embedded, so I can't really upgrade the wiring all the way to the lights, now can I? Now I know I can just splice in near the plugs, but is that really what I should do?

And then the massive 10ga. wire on the fuse holder will need to "downgrade" to the 14ga. that is present in the relay plug. Assuming I can figure out how to crimp my way to success, have I really solved anything with the gauge change? Or am I an idiot who should've bought the proper gauge fuse holder. (and am I the only one surprised that it's a loop of wire, and not open ended?)

For reference: http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/headlights.htm

IMG00774-20101024-2144.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back