• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Open Track Racing, Willow Springs Big Track, June 22, 2011

O

opentrackerSteve

Wow. What a day!

This time I had company. My 19 year old niece joined me and rode along for 4 out of the 5 30 minutes sessions I drove. She is a trooper and will likely be out there in her Mazda 3 next time (Sept).

Lots of happenings and had some excellent track time.

Mechanical issues:
1) Heater core leaked on the way up to the track so I bypassed it before run 1
2) lost an a/c belt again - they just don't stay on when I get the rpms up near redline. I am going to have to remove it before we start and install it afterwards
3) Car runs GREAT on 110 octane leaded racing fuel and at only $8.00 a gallon, it's a deal.
4) carb bog was nearly non-existent. I did nothing. Wonder if the heat helped....

Track conditions:

1) Hot - must have been over 100 deg - but its a dry heat
2) They re-oiled the track 3 weeks ago and it has been for the better. I am now getting 75 - 80 mph speeds in turn 2 and that's 5 to 10 mph faster than before. Other drivers also noted this.

Driving issues:
1) Still learning how to approach turn 9 best. It is psychological at this point - got a couple of good lines in the turn at low speed but need to practice more.
2) I'm still getting some bobbing in turn 8. I need to pull the Konis and re-adjust me thinks.

'Happenings':
1) Subaru impreza (brand new, less than 6k mi) caught fire in turn 9 and burned for a while. Looks like hose blew and caused coolant to starve oil / coolant heat exchanger which caused oil cooler to pop and spray hot oil onto exhaust manifold. Bad indeed.
2) Corvette Z06 spun and did some gravel grading
3) Mustang (2007) had turbo issues and was a slug on the track.
4) Met up with 'the twins' a couple of bloaks from New Zealand that now live here and live close to me. These guys are driving fox Body Stangs and look real good in them. Video below.

I'll get the in car videos posted later - takes a while to upload to youtube....

Subaru that caught fire
P1040732.jpg

OMG fast
P1040733-1.jpg

Nice!
P1040729-1.jpg

Twins!
P1040728.jpg

Twin Mustangs!
Twin Mugtangs!
In action
US_N_Megan_06_22_2.jpg

My niece who's now hooked on Track!
Megan_Patrick.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awe-frick'n-some :thu

Can't wait to see more video! We had a track day yesterday as well. Great weather, no rain and my car was purrfect. So well, I finished off the tires way too soon!

More to come. By the time I got out on my 5th run of the day, there were 3 cars on the track. 3!

I also found a good racing companion in a Porsche Carrera - prob early 90's model. We could go back and forth on the track and his being there really helped me with my lines!

Nice one Steve!

I'm supposed to be heading out to Gingerman Sunday to see if my 'hose blowing off' issue has been fixed with a new radiator. Our weather is crappy so it may not happen...

Hey Steve, when in September are you planning on heading out to the dessert again? I would like to tag along depending on the date of course.

"abrahamfh" said:
Hey Steve, when in September are you planning on heading out to the dessert again? I would like to tag along depending on the date of course.

Uh oh

You know what might happen right?

Steve: Hey Abe, wanna ride in the car for a session?
Abe: I forgot Dramamine, but..........OK

Abe, 20 minutes later: OMG, that's the best fun ever, BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. I can't believe how awesome that was, BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. Can I go again?

BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Still Abe talking, in between barfs: I'm going home and finishing my car so I can come to the track and DRIVE next time!

Steve: Sounds great

The go fast crack pipe will claim another victim :thu

Wed, Sept 21. Come on up and celebrate MY BIRTHDAY! (it's the next day)!

For more info, look here.

hey now we know who the Stig is!
Megan_Patrick.jpg

very cool, thanks for sharing!!!
maybe I should make the drag car into an opentrack car instead...

Last edited by a moderator:
"tarafied1" said:
maybe I should make the drag car into an opentrack car instead...

Guaranteed to have more seat time, which equals more fun!!

"silverblueBP" said:
Guaranteed to have more seat time, which equals more fun!!
the only problem is I live in between to drag strips both within a half hour from my house. They both have test and tune nights one night a week. They are even different nights at each track so theoretically I could drag race twice a week. I only know of two opentrack events a year close to me, at Nashville Speedway almost two hours away. I agree that seat time would be more at an event but since I travel a lot I may not even be around on the scheduled event and therefore miss my only opportunity. Of course at the rate I'm going it really doesn't matter too much unless J wants to come over and push me around the yard like he does his rat rod!

Back