• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

out of the box settings for a Ford 1 barrel on a 200cid

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I just built a 200 L-6 for a young Marine. The carb was a rebuilt one. Car started right up, but since I tried to adjust the carb by the book, I got it worse that when I started. Any hints? Sam :dun

Sorry, I didn't see this post. Here is some info from my old webpage:

•For automatic choke carbs clean out the groove on the carb spacer/heater plate or the choke will not operate properly. (This is a vacuum passage)
groove

•Use the proper gasket from the spacer to the carb. This is a 4-hole gasket. It lets the groove from the spacer plate line up with the hole on the bottom of your carb.

gasket

•Always use a new fuel filter with the installation of your carb and use teflon tape on the threads of the filter. Two to three layers or wraps are fine, but Do Not put the tape over the opening of the filter. Pieces may shred off and get stuck in your carb. Instead, start the tape at least 1 to 2 threads back from the opening of the filter.

•There are really only two on car adjustments that can be made to your carb. 1. Adjust the curb idle speed with a hot or warmed up engine, to 650-700 rpms in neutral or 550 rpms in drive with a automatic transmission. The screw is located on the rear of the carb, drivers side.2. Adjust the idle mixture screw. Turning it in or clockwise, shuts down the fuel or leans it out. Backing it out, adds fuel or richens the mixture. To adjust, turn the screw in until the engine slows down. Then back it out until the engine slows down again. Finally, turn it back in once more until the engine runs the fastest. You are also looking for maximum vacuum at about 19 pounds. The screw is located on front passengers side of the carb.

Setting Timing On A Six

First, if you have a timing light, Do Not Use It. Why? Becuase the timing marks are usually always off. Since the ring of the damper or harmonic balancer is made of rubber the timing marks have a tendancy to move.

Loosen the 1/2-inch bolt that holds the distributor and turn the distributor counter clockwise until the engine runs the fastest (advancing timing). If the engine starts to run rough, back off a bit. Snug down the bolt and test drive the car. If the car pings, back the timing off a little until it hardly pings under acceleration.

Tip: The steel vacuum line exiting your distributor should point somewhere between the #5 and #6 spark plugs on a 1961-1967. A 1968 and later should point directly at the firewall.

If you have a vacuum gauge you want to obtain maximum vacuum.
•1961-1967 = 19 to 20 pounds

•1968-1973 = 18 to 19 pounds

Factory Specs:
•Standard Trans - 6 º BTDC @ 500 rpm

•Automatic Trans - 12 º BTDC @500 rpm

Back