• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Paint / Body work questions. Pictures included

I've only used Nason Epoxy (Duponts lower line).. never had a problem with is and sands and scuffs easily if you are outside of the recoat window. On another forum there are some guys that bash the PPG DPLF claiming it's not durable. The say if you take a rug soaked with reducer it will wipe right off. I'm not sure what that really proves since it's not likely to happen in the real world. On the same forum another guy used DPLF on all his frame and chassis parts and it looks absolutely phenomenal. The only reason I use the Nason is because it is available at my local autobody / paint supplier and I've never been disappointed with it. I also buy it a quart at a time ($60 sprayable 1/2 Gallon - 1 part primer : 1 part activator). Unless you are blasting and priming in all one shot, the quarts work out well if you are going to take some time to get it all done.

So it sounds like SPI, PPG/ dupont is the way to go? Before start figuring out which way to go, lets start with quantity. how many coats of epoxy primer will I use on what parts of the car? What quantity of product will it take to properly coat just about every inch of the car inside and out?

I found a place local that sells the dupont primer with activator etc etc. he quoted me 1 gallon for 180. Is that about right? I called another place and they said 415. What is a fair price for a gallon of primer? I still need to check out SPI stuff as well.

See if you can get prices for Nason epoxy 491-16 primer, 483-19 activator. IIRC it cost me about $70 for a sprayable 1/2 gallon. It is grey, not black if that matters to you.

Nason is Dupont's lower line of paint, but it isn't crap. Chances are you got prices for Dupont "chroma-something" line. Chromabase is their midrange, and chroma-premier is the top line colors. I'm not sure what they call thier primers as I've only used Nason with very good results. Never had a reason to look at their top end primers.

Look up 34isgreat here... he just painted his coupe a couple months back and I'm pretty sure he used all Nason products. His car came out great.

A quart of DP74LF runs about $65, a gallon $204. You'll need the catalyst. LF/catalyst is 2:1.

A quart won't cover a car; a gallon is too much. I believe a half gallon plus catalyst is about right.

Is that black? Also, Besides catalyst, do I have to worry about an activator, UV additive, etc. etc. Do I need to know all of this and have them mix it in/give it to me? If i walk into the paint store, what information do I need to walk in with to make sure I have everything I need to start primering? What kind of surface prep product do I use after media blasting and before primering?

DP90 is the number for the black. i'll pm you my phone number & you can call me on your other questions too much to type (I get lazy)...

The color I would like to go after:

f3f14242.jpg

c5df8733.jpg

Starterpics033.jpg

Starterpics031.jpg

Starterpics030.jpg

Starterpics029.jpg

"Midlife" said:
A quart won't cover a car; a gallon is too much. I believe a half gallon plus catalyst is about right.
If you are truly going to spray the full car. Inside and out. Top to bottom. You'll need closer to a gallon. Get it priced by the quart and gallon and compare. You'll probably find buying the larger quantity is your best option.

"Horseplay" said:
If you are truly going to spray the full car. Inside and out. Top to bottom. You'll need closer to a gallon. Get it priced by the quart and gallon and compare. You'll probably find buying the larger quantity is your best option.

as a general rule, the price of a gallon usually equals the price of 3 qts on most paint/primer etc.

Back