• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Paint opinions

Which stripes should I use

• Total voters

RapidRabbit

Donator
1970_hood.jpg 1970_stripes.jpg

Rocker stripes
04a835165d0bc3f8f25e5fff0e502d40.jpg

Upper pinstripe.
ad313cf400f4a8f4c0eaf2338ddba981.jpg

OK Guys

I looking for a few opinions. I posted a bit about repainting my car in my build thread. Now I am trying to figure out some options.

I am probably going to take advantage of an offer I got to repaint my car. So all the stripes are coming off. And I maybe want add hood stripes in white.

The question is what ones should I put back on.

Last edited:
I like the black stripes on the hood. It blends pretty good with the blue paint without standing out. I also voted for rocker stripes in black to go with the hood stripe.

I forgot about the white interior. Now I will change my vote to rockers only in white. No hood stripe.

convertible with white interior = white rocker strips = classy
a convertible isn't a race machien so no need to be agressive with stripes on the hood.
my 0.02 eurocent

Not a fan of pinstripes. Mustangs have enough in the way of bodylines they don't need a secondary paint stripe to make them standout. The biggest issue you have with adding a hood stripe is your scoop. It's not a shaker so it really should be body color otherwise it looks like a last minute addition. So if you stripe the hood the scoop than has to be white (your choice of stripe color) and it will get lost which you certainly do not want. That or you do a black stripe trio and I think that would clash against your interior. What color is your top? If the top is black...swap to a black interior and add black stripes! I'll shut up now. :D

Reactions: kb3
I am not a big fan of stripes or two tone paint. When I did mine, I didn't want any stripes. My painter and wife talked me into the stripes because it would break up all the red. Now I am happy with outcome but I didn't add rocker stripes. I thought it would be too much. On your car the white rocker stripes look good. I don't think a white hood stripe would look good (my opinion). I went with black on my car because I just don't like white stripes but your white interior does compliment the blue so the stripes would carry the theme.
Good Luck

Definitely no upper pinstripe, and I would pass on the hood stripe as well. The rocker stripe I could give it take, they do add a sense of class to a Mustang in my opinion but do not exude muscle. I know, we are lots of help!

Thanks for the input guys.

I like the rocker stripe because the car is a so long. Helps break up the side a bit.

The upper pinstripe was on the car when I bought it. I think I'll ditch that.

The top and interior are white, so i don't want to go black stripes.

Here's a few pictures of my car before the rocker stripes. Different wheels of course. But you get the idea.

Also with and without scoop. And body color vs black scoop.

2b72277044811b10151c90deb01fd029.jpg7579cbfd061125c6f9ec713fc2c182a0.jpg49925c4defce2c56d05398137312a3c9.jpg7929166d594b0bf580a09a40255b9fda.jpgccb3220bf0bbbfe33cd22cdbb8ad1e3a.jpg

Ok, I Know I'm probablyly getting annoying. But this is the original color of my car and I've kind of always said if I did a full repaint I would go back to original only because it's rare. Only 49 verts made in this color and 12 with white top and interior.

What you got think of this color?
It's dark aqua metallic.

f4478a512aeea6662d0a30b6bbaba35f.jpg

Last edited:
Years ago my ex and I bought a '70 convertible in Medium Bright Blue (code Q). It had a blue standard interior. She was going to add a pinstripe as you have considered. I voted for the pinstripe because the rocker stripe and hood stripe are the prevue of a performance model IMO. I really believe the pinstripe would be a classy way to go. And some Mach 1 hubcaps.

Back