• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Paint thoughts.

Stokes66

I'm hoping to get my car to the painter next winter. I know it's a ways off but I'm bored. Now it Wimbledon white with grey strips. I thought about black with grey strips but black shows every bad spot in the medal. So the wife and I are talking blue with white strips or vise versa. I believe sapphire was the blue from 66, but what looks the best in your opinion?
1966 coupe was a vinyl top but the PO took it off.

Sent via paper airplane.

are you intending to use a stock mustang color or is the sky the limit?

paint has progressed so much in 50 years if it's not a restoration, there are hundreds (thousands?) of deep vibrant colors to choose from. my car is in for paint now and I chose non-stock colors for it, as nothing else on the car is gonna be stock. my brother took the opposite approach on his mustang, he wants a survivor and won't touch anything unless it absolutely needs it, and repainted his the original red. different strokes for different folks, it's all good.

back to your original question, black is timeless and beautiful when it's clean...

The stock colors do look nice but as said, if not a stock restoration, do it different. I am at the point I walk by so many stock cars at shows and look for the odd ones to see what is unique. All of mine except one was non stock colors.....and of course my Lightning thread shows a preference.

Of your choices given, I think the blue with white stripes would be the best.

Agree with the above. When we painted the daughter's 65 we knew it was going to stay red but went for a modern tone since the car was pretty modified. We went with a 2006 chili red that Mini Cooper and BMW used, as pictured here. I like the idea of blue with white as long as it is a dark blue.

qy4uvega.jpg

There are a whole lot of white/blue and blue/white mustangs out there. Just saying. But above all do what makes you guys happiest. Last thing you want to do is try to live with a color combo you don't like.

Just take your time to pick a color.
It took a month for me to choose and never regret it.
Blue metallic and wimbledom white
Wimbledom and guardsman blue
Red and wimbledom white
Red and gold
Gulf racing scheme
Terlingua racing scheme
Martini racing scheme

so many to choose

Dad wants me to stay with the 66 colors but it think shiny is best. I really like that red.

Sent via paper airplane.

Back