• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Picked up my 9 inch rear from the shop today.

FordDude

Well-Known Dude
Staff member
Over the last too many years to remember I have been gathering parts for a nine inch upgrade in my 67 coupe. Bill Thomas put together a Traction-lok carrier 20 years ago. The carrier housing came from a 64.5 Mustang K code coupe. It had 3.89 gears and was free. Was left at my BILs place in a storage shed 25 years ago. Bill recommended 3.50 gears and traded for the 3.89. The carrier has been sitting on my workbench since. I found an axle housing out of a '70 Cougar at a salvage yard soon after the carrier was completed. Cleaned it up and it has been sitting in the garage since. About 5 years ago I started looking for 2.5 inch rear brake backing plates. 1966 to 1977 Bronco used them, along with even harder to find old Fords. 1967 GT 350 and 500s used the 2.5 inch rear drum brakes. After a year or so of looking on ebay I found a set.
Cleaning out my garage last year due to the construction and electrical work that needed to be done I found an old business card of Bill Thomas. I did a google search and found that he was still in business at the same old warehouse in San Bernardino. I gave him a call to see if he could assemble my rear end. The man does like to talk, simple explanation of the parts that I have and could he assemble them for me. It was at least an 1/2 hour call. When I dropped the parts off he had more stories to tell. They are good stories and it was very entertaining listening to him.
I dropped off the parts last year before the holidays. I told him no rush on getting it assembled. Set a tentative date the second week in January. I called a couple of times to see if it was ready. "I gotta clean and paint the backing plates". This Monday the 6th of February he called me to say it was ready to be picked up.
Next is putting the brake lines back on it and assembling the drum brakes. Bottom line is that I have learned to pick my battles. At one time with a lot of help I could have put it together myself. Now I will install the completed rearend myself.

1675933129549.png

1675933191702.png

fd

The older you get , the more stories you have ! Looks great !

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Your projects move along about as fast as mine do! I didn't know those Bronco backing plates were that sought after, I have a set sitting on my shelf as I am converting my 77 to rear disc.

Nice piece, Tim.

You'd be surprised at what parts might have a market and even more surprised at the prices things are commanding these days. My advise is to get out in the garage and pull out those dusty old boxes of "junk" and you may find you can fund some of those projects you may have thought may never be financially possible. Or do what I love to do and scour the old interweb and such to find steals on stuff you can flip.

Nice piece, Tim.

You'd be surprised at what parts might have a market and even more surprised at the prices things are commanding these days. My advise is to get out in the garage and pull out those dusty old boxes of "junk" and you may find you can fund some of those projects you may have thought may never be financially possible. Or do what I love to do and scour the old interweb and such to find steals on stuff you can flip.
My problem is I am a car parts hoarder. I think I may need that part again someday. Up in the attic I have a second complete set of seats and interior panels for a 65-66 fastback. I am sure they are worth money to someone, but hey I may need to build another one someday!

My problem is I am a car parts hoarder. I think I may need that part again someday. Up in the attic I have a second complete set of seats and interior panels for a 65-66 fastback. I am sure they are worth money to someone, but hey I may need to build another one someday!
I am looking into a mirror !

Your projects move along about as fast as mine do! I didn't know those Bronco backing plates were that sought after, I have a set sitting on my shelf as I am converting my 77 to rear disc.
The disc brake upgrade is a popular conversion. Goal is to keep the outside looking original, under the hood not so much. I am even having thoughts of going over to the dark side o_O and removing the shock towers. The one thing that I am not going to do is the rotisserie. That would make it too pretty to drive, and I want to drive it on the streets of SoCal. :D And yes things take me 4 times as long as they used to, and I have always been slow. Because when I go too fast I make mistakes and have to do it again.

fd

shock towers are overrated. I chopped our out back in 2014 and haven't looked back.

Back