• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

"picture" speeding tickets--

Flysure1

There has been posts here about tickets sent to people with a pic and a fine attached, a radio talk show host today was talking about it was backfiring in some places---people knew where the cameras were located and actually obeyed the laws and the revenue from tickets was going down, he said they were removing the permanent ones and going back to mobile---and they say it is all about making our roads safer---yeah right, it has always been about revenue and always will be.

I went through a "mobile" radar unit last weekend on the interstate. Motorhome pulled off the side looking like it was broke down. I went by it and not only was the back labeled highway patrol or something like that but they had a radar gun and cameras mounted outside on a tripod. From all accounts it looked like a broken down rv until you got up to it. I'm waiting for my ticket in the mail! I-95 in SC if anyone is using this road.

To my knowledge, the permanent ones have to be posted in public record (newspaper), and anything mobile needs to be labeled. Same reason cop cars have to be visible from x feet when hanging out on the side of the road with their radar gun, and they have to have their parking lights on when doing so at night. You have to at least be aware that they're there.

"Starfury" said:
To my knowledge, the permanent ones have to be posted in public record (newspaper), and anything mobile needs to be labeled. Same reason cop cars have to be visible from x feet when hanging out on the side of the road with their radar gun, and they have to have their parking lights on when doing so at night. You have to at least be aware that they're there.

That sure as hell doesn't happen here. Cops around here are like ninjas.

"Gigantopithecus" said:
That sure as hell doesn't happen here. Cops around here are like ninjas.

Uh oh, well the only thing that can beat ninja's is....well....CHUCK NORRIS OF COURSE!

If they're paying a fee to the company that installs, monitors and administers the red light cameras I could see a situation where the city is paying say $2K/mo. in fees and the cities income from the proceeds are less than that. Really depends on their contract with the camera co. Unless they have camera's on every light there should be plenty of other places to write tickets for red light runners.

I haven't seen light mounted speeding monitors but that seems to be what you're implying and what everyone seems to be replying to? A radio talk show host can say anything, does he quote a source that can be verified that any cities are actually removing cameras so they can go back to manually ticketing? I'd much rather spend my time on patrol sit around in the sun writing tickets..
Jon

I got a photo ticket back in May or April IIRC. I ended up paying the ticket. I had to get a new policy for the Mustang and switched companies in August and thought it may show up but they did not say a thing about it but brought up a door ding claim we had submitted against our policy almost 3 years before that. I am thinking that they don't even count toward your drivers license. :)

The ones around here not only hide in the bushes with their radar guns, I'm pretty sure they put leaves and sticks in their pockets and hat bands for just a little more realism. :rp

I've heard of either some clear reflective paint you can spray or a clear plastic cover that reflects the flash of the camera and appears as a washed out image on the picture, rendering the car unidentifiable. Apparently Mythbusters heard about them too and busted them all, well, except the plate rotator.

I know I'm going to get hammered by my position on this, but I don't care if they put these thing up on every block. Traffic around here can be brutal and it seems the only way to keep the speeding lane weaving red light running Dbags in check is to levy a stupid driver tax on them. Don't like to contribute to their sneaky revenue generating scheme? Don't participate. It's your choice to play or not.

"1497" said:
I know I'm going to get hammered by my position on this, but I don't care if they put these thing up on every block. Traffic around here can be brutal and it seems the only way to keep the speeding lane weaving red light running Dbags in check is to levy a stupid driver tax on them. Don't like to contribute to their sneaky revenue generating scheme? Don't participate. It's your choice to play or not.

I actually fully agree with that. I have no problem with red light or speed cameras. If you are not breaking the rules, you have nothing to worry about. And it allows LEO to spend time doing more usefull stuff in the area.

"sigtauenus" said:
I actually fully agree with that. I have no problem with red light or speed cameras. If you are not breaking the rules, you have nothing to worry about. And it allows LEO to spend time doing more usefull stuff in the area.

The problem is that the LEO doesn't do more useful things! They go to the local doughnut shop or the heads of those departments decide they can cut the budget and delete some positions since they are not needed.

I agree that you should not participate, but there are times and circumstances that demand a bit of a faster speed. Besides if you are being safe, WTF? who is it hurting in the middle of the night when you just decide to open it up? Nobody is around and it is safe to do so...

I for one would rather be stopped by a human being and then I stand a chance of maybe getting a warning.

Don't like photo enforcement. If there are photo speeding tickets, what is next? Photo monitoring and enforcement of every place we go including our homes? Photo enforcement of not picking up dog poop? Let me make it clear, I believe in picking up after your dog in public as well, just trying to say where will it end? Or will it?

If there is photo enforcement of all laws, there will truly be no freedom to choose right from wrong. We have to do this in order to be free. God gave us our agency and we should be allowed to use it. I know there is a flip side to this coin, just saying that this doesn't sit well with me. Not sure how to type why though....

I have a hard time articulating myself while typing, but I think you get my drift.

Mel

I get your drift. You are free to choose right from wrong as defined by the societal rules/laws/statutes. By choosing wrong you also choose to accept the consequences for your actions.
I fully agree to your right to adjust speed for circumstances and open it up if you so choose. Just don't complain if you get caught by human or other monitoring.
It's not my business how people behave during their time on this planet. But I do know that without rules comes anarchy and anarchy brings on a shortage of ammo.

I agree speeding is sometimes unsafe, I have gotten tickets, my point is that when they were known to exist at a certain spot they worked and people slowed down and revenue was down due to fewer tickets being issued, they reportedly had them removed and went back to mobile radar to build up revenue---if they were solely concerned about safety they would leave them permanent and applaud the reduced speeders. also some of the police around here go dark when running radar.

"guruatbol" said:
The problem is that the LEO doesn't do more useful things! They go to the local doughnut shop or the heads of those departments decide they can cut the budget and delete some positions since they are not needed.

I agree that you should not participate, but there are times and circumstances that demand a bit of a faster speed. Besides if you are being safe, WTF? who is it hurting in the middle of the night when you just decide to open it up? Nobody is around and it is safe to do so...

I for one would rather be stopped by a human being and then I stand a chance of maybe getting a warning.

Don't like photo enforcement. If there are photo speeding tickets, what is next? Photo monitoring and enforcement of every place we go including our homes? Photo enforcement of not picking up dog poop? Let me make it clear, I believe in picking up after your dog in public as well, just trying to say where will it end? Or will it?

If there is photo enforcement of all laws, there will truly be no freedom to choose right from wrong. We have to do this in order to be free. God gave us our agency and we should be allowed to use it. I know there is a flip side to this coin, just saying that this doesn't sit well with me. Not sure how to type why though....

I have a hard time articulating myself while typing, but I think you get my drift.

Mel

There is no expectation of privacy on a public road. This isn't about what you do in your house, its about you driving a vehicle in such a way as to be a hazzard to other people. My right to go through an intersection or safely drive on a road in accordance with the law trumps your right to do whatever the hell you want. Enforcement is enforcement, and if you are breaking the law then you run the risk of the consequences in the form of a ticket or fine. You can still choose to do right or wrong, you absolutely still have that freedom, but if you choose wrong you get to pay for it.

Back