• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Polishing stainless trim

monkeystash

I'm about to tackle my windshield trim and could use some advice or recommendations on compounds, wheels, and sandpaper. Anybody have a system they like? I've noticed there are many different compounds as well as polishing wheels. I don't need a perfect mirror finish, but would like a nice, clean shine.

My trim is in fairly good shape, but there are plenty of light scratches throughout.

I bought this from Eastwood. Not sure if it was the best value wise but it helped me do a great job on my stainless.

http://www.eastwood.com/combo-buffing-k ... steel.html

Mine was in decent shape but had lots of scratches and more than a few dings and dents. I used a small hammer to pound them out and multiple degrees of sandpaper to finish the job before buffing and the results were amazing. Not a difficult task. Just need to take your time and use the right tools/materials.

Thanks. I went out to Harbor Freight and bought a buffer, a few wheels, and compound. I sanded the trim with 320, 500, then 1000. Then I used the black compound with the stiffest wheel. Followed that with green compound and a softer wheel. Last, I hand buffed with Mothers polish. While far from perfect, I'm very happy with the results.

zu3evy2y.jpg

dujydy7y.jpg

egy5u2ah.jpg

"janschutz" said:
Looks great. I found lots of pleasure in polishing the trim pieces I have done.

I've always enjoyed buffing the helmet........

Back