• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Poor mans alternator spacer

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Speaking of inches.....I need a aluminum alternator spacer for Shag which has to be 2.125". The standard one seen on most 289 and 302's seems to be 1.44". NPD only sells the 1.44" one or a stock bar of 14" for a whopping 23.95 + freight, which you cut to length.

Tonight I swung by my local metal yard and the guy found the exact OD and ID bar instock. After having him cut a 12" chunk off it, I ended up paying a whopping $6.50.

So if anyone ever needs a custom length alternator spacer.......

Is that a different length than the standard 351C spacer? I don't see the length listed for the 351C in the catalog.

Good tip. I've used metalsupermarkets.com in the past for small metal needs. The price is a little more than a metal yard but they carry aluminum and stainless as well as steel. I have one local so it saves on shipping.

"sigtauenus" said:
Is that a different length than the standard 351C spacer? I don't see the length listed for the 351C in the catalog.

Can't say what the correct length is but based upon hooking up the 351c alternator brackets and throwing on the alternator, I have 2-2 1/4" of space. Figuring I was going to use a washer or two, I mentally cut it down to 2 1/8". At least I have 8 extra inches to play with in case my first attempt fails.

My boss had to make a spacer years ago on his camaro and he used an all thread nut. Well he sold the car and a few years down the road it was sold again. He then saw it in a car show and was looking at the car and noticed his spacer. He mentioned it to the owner and the owner was like yeah i built the motor BLA BLA BLA. My boss was like really I put that spacer in there to sell the car. Shut the owner up. You never know you might get the joy of doing the same thing some day.

Geez,
I was wondering if anyone would catch that. Mind you it took two me at least 2 brain cels to come up with that one. I feel exhausted.

"buening" said:
Out of context that sounds hilarious :kaid

Maybe this could be the basis for a "Reverse Caption Contest"........in other words, we've got the caption, now suggest the photo to go along with it!!!! :lol

"cmayna" said:
At least I have 8 extra inches to play with in case my first attempt fails.
"JeffTepper" said:
Maybe this could be the basis for a "Reverse Caption Contest"........in other words, we've got the caption, now suggest the photo to go along with it!!!! :lol

I don't want to see any pictures for that caption :scar

bananahboy.jpg

Caption attempt #1: *edited for content*
Caption attempt #2: *edited for content*
Caption attempt #3: *edited for content*

Well, so much for this... :craz

A real mans CHEAP alternator spacer is taking a shart load of washers and putting them back to back to make a spacer. :craz fd

"68EFIvert" said:
Good tip. I've used metalsupermarkets.com in the past for small metal needs. The price is a little more than a metal yard but they carry aluminum and stainless as well as steel. I have one local so it saves on shipping.

i have a metalsupermarket near me too. i shop in their cutoff bin for most of my needs & save a bunch of money there by doing that.

Back