• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Pop open gas cap?

I just bought my pop open cap from NPD early this year for my '69. I have never had a problem with it popping open by itself, or even if I bump it. It clicks hard when it's closed and doesn't open unless you push the latch all the way down. Admittedly, there's probably only been a couple of full throttle launches with it on there, but there has been a couple, and the car puts out 416 ft. lbs. of torque at the wheels.

The problem I had is that it didn't seal right. There was not enough throw in the spring/cap assembly to form a tight seal at the top of the cap, so gas would blow out under one of those hard launches. There is no adjustment really to be made, as they come in the box, but I modified mine. I put a spacer behind it, which pushes the cap out further. Since then, it's worked like a charm.

The twist tabs on the regular cap clear the pop open or did you have to modify?

My son uses a '71 style pop open on his Ecar. He uses a regular cap under the pop open with the two "twist tabs". The twist tabs were slightly interfering with the pop open closing all of the way. I ground the twist tabs down a little bit on the bench grinder and everything works great now.

Thats what I'm gonna do. I ordered a cap from autozone last night, it came in today. I'll pick it up tonight and put it on. Already have the pop open off and sitting on the bench ready to pull the spring loaded piece off.

All this talk of pop-off caps, twist caps, etc., is making me thirsty. Guys: :stfu or buy me a damn beer, will ya?

"Midlife" said:
All this talk of pop-off caps, twist caps, etc., is making me thirsty. Guys: :stfu or buy me a damn beer, will ya?

BeerEmotions.jpg

"Midlife" said:

Dont go there Mid..... Surfin another site and what do I see, a picture of Mid, In Dallas, drinking a beer....whats missing from the picture....ME. :wtf

Well, I took the spring loaded piece off last night and installed a twist off cap. Hopefully I wont leave the twist off at the gas station..... The pop open seems to stay closed a whole lot better. :nice

I used a locking cap under the pop-open center, after cutting off the spring portion. Keeps people from messing with your gas.

I like the suggestion of keeping a rag under the cap. :bow

Frank

Back