• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

POR15 work for the convertible top frame?

steveh326

pulled the convertible top frame off the car last saturday, and finished stripping all the material from it this morning. between the years of dirt/grime/rust and the soot/damage from the fire, it was a mess. I just dropped the frame off at the soda blasters to be stripped. I bit the bullet and sprung for all new weatherstripping and hardware.

I am planning on spraying the frame with POR15 semi-gloss when I get it back. I am a little concerned because POR15 is not UV stable, but I don't think the frame gets hit with any direct sunlight with the top installed so it's probably OK. any thoughts? I am not doing a restoration so semi-gloss vs satin vs flat doesn't bother me. I had considered powdercoating, but with all the moving parts and the thickness of powdercoat I was a little concerned that it may bind up after it was done, so I thought POR15 might be a good alternative.

I have used POR15 in the past on my car but I would not use it on visable parts. I had to do some small repairs on my top from minor corrosion. I neutralized the surface rust that was there and used filler to fill in the imperfections. Instead of POR15 I would us and Epoxy primer and then follow it up with the black paint your want to use.

ok, POR15 bad idea for this app... as always, thanks for setting me straight and for the other suggestions.

If the frame is soda blasted you MUST neutralize the soda BEFORE you apply any primer or paint. I found out the hard way last summer. Apply Simple Green, scrub with brush or scotch brite and rinse. Repeat at least three times. Let air dry or use air hose.

"Mach1Mark" said:
If the frame is soda blasted you MUST neutralize the soda BEFORE you apply any primer or paint. I found out the hard way last summer. Apply Simple Green, scrub with brush or scotch brite and rinse. Repeat at least three times. Let air dry or use air hose.

yeah I'm a little nervous about putting WATER on bare steel but everything I read says thats what to do. too big to fit on my blast cabinet, I could not find a sand blaster in my area to do it quick enuf so ended up at the soda blasters. hopefully I won't regret that decision in 6 months

ok I think I have had my 1st and last experience with soda blasting. failed experiment for me. didn't clean it up nearly as much I needed it to. 1 step forward 1 step back. dropped the frame off this morning to have it sandblasted, epoxy primed and painted with single stage enamel. but the best news I found this guy local to me to do all this very reasonable, they do lots of old car stuff, and it'll be done by friday. I wish I would have found him 2 weeks ago and saved me the aggravation, but what's done is done.

"68EFIvert" said:
Sounds like you got a good plan. It should look great when it is done.

picked up the convertible frame yesterday, woohoo it came out great, way better than I could have done myself and I thought fairly reasonable. even better I now have a contact for commercial sandblasting for anything that's too big for the blast cabinet. as soon as I can get the top frame bolted back into the car I'll be able to get the car to the painter... didn't want to risk damaging a brand new paint job trying to reinstall it after the car was painted, lord knows I'll have plenty of other chances to do that.

Back