• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Possible new hood

Kats66Pny

Hubby got ahold of the guy at work who's daughter just got a 66 mustang...the one with the hood scoop. Hubby told the guy and showed him pics of my 66 and the hood and so he's going to talk to his daughter and see if she would want to do a trade.

Turns out the mustang she bought is a 66 I ran across on craigslist. Check out that paint job. :lol
http://collegestation.craigslist.org/cto/1911674422.html

So if we traded hoods... I would have to repaint that hood ASAP. No way in hell I'd drive around with a black hood with pink stripes. Hard to tell in the pictures, but I believe it looks like this hood. Hubby said it's a pretty good size scoop, 3-4 inches. I could deal with that. :vic

fs-m301.jpg

Try and see the hood on the other car before you do a swap. Cheep (not saying it is, but...) glass hoods can fit like crapola...

"Kats66Pny" said:
if we traded hoods... I would have to repaint that hood ASAP. No way in hell I'd drive around with a black hood with pink stripes. Hard to tell in the pictures, but I believe it looks like this hood. Hubby said it's a pretty good size scoop, 3-4 inches. I could deal with that. :vic

Since you talked about painting you car flat black, now maybe the chance. And if you added pink stripes, you would not need to repaint the hood! :craz

If they decide to swap.. I'm going to take Gertrude over there and have both mustangs try on the hoods to make sure everything fits ok and it looks ok. If it doesn't fit good or I decide I don't like the look.. I'll just keep my normal hood and wait.

I might be able to see over it. That's another reason I'd like to try out the hood first before I agree on a trade. I want to see what my visibility would be like.

I like some crazy colors on cars... but pink stripes.. no way! :lol

Kat,
Are you going to drive the car that hard and that much to justify having such a big scooped hood? I realize that these reverse hoods are suppose to be much better than the stock and also the traditional GT350 style hood. But the looks. Yes, go see it in person and yes sit behind it to make sure you like the looks and can see over it. Might bring a couple phone books.

Fiberglass hoods also use a lighter spring so watch that. If it has a steel frame, that is better. Some tend to warp with extended running due to engine heat. Look it over close.

Well the plan is to make a DD so yeah I'll be driving it a lot, but not hard. Might take her on the track every now and then.

All I know is I heard hubby talking to some guy at the car show about the holley double pumper and wanting it to get more air, and how he'd like to go up to a 3" filter but right now we're stuck with having to use 2" air filter and even that is cutting it really close. The hood doesn't even have insulation, and if/when it gets it... a 2" filter will be too big and its already lowered as much as it can be.

Judging from the Craigslist ad, I'd say that scoop was trying to compensate for something.... :craz

-Rory

Kat,
I'm running a Holley 750 DP, 3" drop filter in Shag using a stock hood. So far I don't regret going with the stock hood.

"cmayna" said:
Kat,
I'm running a Holley 750 DP, 3" drop filter in Shag using a stock hood. So far I don't regret going with the stock hood.

Do you have a spacer below the carb? I have a 1" spacer and I have like a 2" or maybe 3" drop and the clearance between the top of the wingnut and the hood is less than half an inch. If it comes down to it, I could remove the spacer, but I'd prefer to keep it on there and go with a larger filter, like a 3" K&N one and have a scoop that would allow all that.

I imagine 90+% of scoop/cowl hoods are for looks alone... I put an SVO style glass hood on my Fox. necessary? definitely not... Do I get tons of compliments on how it looks? ABSOLUTELY!!

It's even black on a white car... sorry, no pink stripes... :lol

I'm running a similar cowl hood on my fastback. I could have possibly went with a stock or gt350 hood scoop, I probably would have to loose the phenolic spacer between my upper and lower intake. But I love the way that it makes the car look.

See what it looks like on your car and how it fits. And if you like the looks of the cowl hood, I'd say go for it.

I have the same type of hood on my 70, man what a bEoch it was make it fit some what good if I was you I would keep the stock hood and just throw a scope on it, if that's what you want. After playing with a fiberglass hood and Fiberglass trunk I'm never using fiberglass again lol.. Oh and the best part was a bought the correct hood springs for the fiberglass
And it started to warp from them.. I instantly removed them and now it has straightened it self out.. I bought the hood from mustangs unlimited.. My opinion keep stock hood.. Fiberglass is just plain Aggravating.. :po

I have John's old hood with the Shelby scoop on it. I cut a hole in it so I could get the cold air. It made a difference, but I see no improvement in the performance with a taller air cleaner. It is the amount of flow through it that matters.

Yes Kat, Size does matter! My Bus is 45' long and it does command attention when I want it to! Hehehehe

Years ago I had a 289 with loads of mods and a tunnel ram intake. I put a 6" snorkel hood scoop on it so I could cover everything up. I used one of the triangle air cleaners from Edlebrock that was very low profile and it still made the scoop bulge a bit. I had great visibility. Your 3-4" hood should be fine!

It seems it is more of a cosmetic thing for you anyway. So, other than being super careful about a fiberglass hood and all, go for it. Make sure you look it over real close. If you get buyer's remorse and need a hood, I have the stock one from the 65 in the garage.

I personally would not have a glass hood without a metal frame. Oh, many glass hoods require the springs to be removed.

I never had one, but everyone I ever met that did complained about them and ended up getting rid of them in favor of their old stock hood they removed.

HTH,

Mel

Back