• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Possible new hood

"abrahamfh" said:
Not the straight jacket and padded room again Pete.

Sorry, all kidding aside, hope everything checks out okay Pete.

Just having some tests done. Will know more in a week or so......

"AzPete" said:
Just having some tests done. Will know more in a week or so......

Damn...you're pregnant again? Congratulations!

I would like to see some wind tunnel tests on the air flow at the cowl hood. Most references I see on line mention the high pressure at the windshield base. hmmmmm.

"Midlife" said:
Damn...you're pregnant again? Congratulations!

no, bit more serious....maybe...until the tests are done.

The chevy's that used them in the 60s and 70s had a flapper that was vacuum operated opening at higher speeds and closing when idleing and/or driving slow.

For me if it were something that really worked well everyone that wanted to go fast in any race or on the street would be using them. IMHO the theory is good, but I doubt it really works as advertised. I prefer the more straight forward approach of a scoop or opening in the front forcing cooler air to the intake.

Mel

The guy emailed with a few pictures of the scoop... Good Lord that thing is huge. :lol :vic

It is just me, or does it look like it doesn't fit quite right? Looks to be a gap along the fender?

Wow, That thing sure makes that car look FAST!....lol

The gap could just be the way it was installed.. Lot of adjustment in the hinges to get them to set down right...

I wonder how well it clears the cowl area when open. Also, he is using hood pins. Not sure if you already have them or not but they keep the sides from floating at speed.

For checking the fit, be sure to compare the fender edge with the hood edge. If the hood is narrow and the fenders are tight to the cowl, you may not have much adjustment there. I have also seen problems with the body lines on top of the hood. If they do not line up, it is hard to fix.

I had a fiberglass hood that came with the last car I had. It was a 67/8 style with the wide, split scoop and I liked the look. The fit was terrible when we installed it on the car. I sold it to another local with the pics of the way it fit mine. His was a drop in perfect fit. Both cars had re-pop fenders, cowl and front body work. You just never know.....

That's what I wondering.. how far can that hood even open without smacking into the cowl vents. What's the deal with the lip over the cowl vent anyway? All the FB hoods I've seen that look similar don't seem to have that lip that sticks out. Is that suppose to be functional for something or just for looks?

I don't have hood pins. They were on my 'one day I'm going to get them' list. But since this hood comes with them, even better.

The closer the hood lip is to the windshield, the better the air flow to the engine is. There is a limit as to how close and that looks like it is good there but the hood may not open as wide as the stock. Just another thing to check out before you make the deal.

"AtlantaSteve" said:
I'm wondering if that "gap" at the end of the fenders is due to using stock springs? If so, might the hood be warped?

Could easily be. The fit on most cheap aftermarket fiberglass is crap to begin with, not to mention possibly throwing stock springs into the equation. This easily could be one of those "can of worms" scenarios. Make sure you check it out (and test fit it) very throughly.

For the sake of argument... GOOD glass hoods fit well!! The Cervinis one fit perfectly. Been on all summer (outside :rp)

No signs of warping or anything unusual. I don't even think there's a steel frame in it. VERY happy with it!

Got some more info about the hood. Been playing email tag with my husband at work.

I asked about the bow/gap going on near the fender.. the guy is not sure what hinges are on there, and the gap/bowing might be because the hood is only on there hand tight. When they went to pick it up, the hood wasn't even on, so they just tossed it on real quick. I also told hubby to ask if the hood has a metal frame or not. Doubt the guy would know off hand, but he's going to ask anyway.

My cowl doesn't have that much lip on the back side. It's barely any longer than the rest of the hood. It it interferes with the cowl, you can always remove some.

I've never had a glass hood with a metal frame and never had any issues. One of the hoods was made back in about '76 and the fit is as good as the original metal hood I took off the car. If the frame is glass, don't say no just cause of that see how it fit on your car.

With no latch and no hinges attached, the hood should lay flat on your car and match the fenders pretty good. If they say the hood is on finger tight, it still should lay flat. Check it close.

I've had my glass hood, nose, flares, etc. for about 4 years. No metal frame. Still fits like it did when the car was painted. The trunk lid is much older, no metal frame either. It still fits the same also. I have FG hood springs (weaker) and have had no issues, my trunk has the stock torsion bars, no problems. FG is Maier Racing, decent quality stuff. I would never expect a used FG hood to "bolt-on" but if it's way off it probably won't be worth the trouble. If it's close, and you like it, then go for it!

Since hubby was out of town last week, and been busy all this week... he finally got a chance to talk to the guy again about the hood. Going to try and set something up for next weekend to do a swap/test fitting. :10

Keeping my fingers crossed the hood he has will be an ok fit on Gert. I'm going to get so many head turns with that thing. :lol

Swapped'em out today.

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4152.jpg

IMG_4151.jpg

Fits pretty good. Little off, but nothing some more tweaking wouldn't solve. Need to replace the hood pins as the ones with it are old and ugly. Oh and got a few WTF glances driving it home. :lol

Back