• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Power steering leak issue

ko67

I am sure that most of you who are experienced mechanics have never had this problem, but I have a persistent small power steering leak. I replaced the cylinder with a new one from flaming river. The old one leaked badly from the rod of the cylinder, so I assumed it was toast. Once the new one was on, it leaked badly from the seats where the hoses screw in. It appeared that the hose fittings were old, and possibly damaged, so I got new hoses from Dallas mustang. I was careful not to over tighten, because I know that these fittings work by seating the surfaces, not by sealing the threads like pipe. I called flaming river tech support and they said to use Teflon tape. I did, and the leak persists, much smaller but still present, maybe the size of a silver dollar in 24 hours on cement. I have cleaned the valve and lines and sprayed them with a powder spray to find the wet areas and i am sure that the leak is only from the seats where the lines enter the cylinder. What do you wise fountains of automotive truth recommend, short of scrapping the old system for a power rack?

I had a completely rebuilt system leak as you say at the hose fittings. I did not use tape as the hoses should fit and seal against the seats. I ended up taking some very, very fine sand paper and truing the seats and the hoses. After that, it was a matter of getting the hoses in the exact place. One hose I had to remove and the such about 6 times before it sealed. After that, never a leak in the 11,000 miles we drove it. Just keep at it and they will seal with some work.

Maybe they(the seats) are kind of like new brake lines?~ you loosen, then tighten/loosen them a few times to seat them? Just a thought.
dne'

Back