• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Power Steering Pump for those with EFI?

nitroracer

I have a question for guys running fuel injected 5.0s in their classic stangs, have you had any trouble with the newer style power steering pump?

20-6240.jpg

I have a 68' Fairlane with a 90' Marquis accessory drive, it has the same style power steering pump as a fox body mustang and the same type of power steering ram as your vintage mustangs. I haven't logged too many miles on the car and I noticed the pump was low on fluid and it appears to be leaking from the control valve on the drivers side. Is this pump too much for my steering components to handle or have the seals just gone from age?

I'm running an EFI 5.0 based motor with the style PS pump in question, but it's powering a R&P. Without any other information I suspect your control valve needs to be rebuilt/replaced. The pressure/flow of the late model PS pump should not cause your control valve to leak.

I could be wrong, but aren't the newer style pumps lower pressure? I seem to remember the old pumps provided too much boost and the newer ones alleviated that. I could be wayyy off though :shrug

"buening" said:
I could be wrong, but aren't the newer style pumps lower pressure? I seem to remember the old pumps provided too much boost and the newer ones alleviated that. I could be wayyy off though :shrug

As I recall the newer style pumps are lower pressure, thus my recommendation to focus on rebuilding the control valve. It shouldn't leak regardless of which pump is being used.

Thanks for the recommendations, I know this isn't the most common setup. I haven't been able to find a source that gives the pressure output of the two different pumps.

Looks like a control valve rebuild kit runs about $20 @ Rockauto. I'll order one up but there is snow on the ground so its not getting done just yet.

getimage.php

Back