• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Power steering question~

Dne'

I have my motor on my engine stand. I'd use photos, but my friend has my camera!
Does the PS pump bracket bolt directly to the block with the long bolt? or is there a bracket that comes off of the head(a short bracket)? My expensive Mustang manual doesn't show a good illustration! When I bolt it directly to the block, the flat bracket that bolts to the water pump don't seem to line up. Puzzeled!

Keep in mind, my stang didn't have anthing under the hood, so I have nothing to go by. I just bolted it there cause it seemed like that was the place to bolt it. Also, the bracket for my Classic AC will bolt onto the head too! :doh

IMG_6923.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember correctly, you'll probably need to use a small spacer between the pump and the head on the long bolt. This will allow the bracket on the water pump to align. However, wait until you've installed your AC compressor because it may change everything.

Thanks Dave~ I'm still waiting for my smaller dia. water pump pulley too, the water pump pully that I do have touches the crank pulley. I'll get some photos later today. The Classic AC; one flat plate bracket bolts to the head (3 holes), 1/4" plate? so that places the pump out that much more. So the pump does bolt where I have it?
I have got to clean/organize my garage today, OMG it's a mess! I become counterproductive when it gets really messy! lol
I'll check back!
dne'

So the pump does bolt where I have it?

If AC were not involved, yes, the pump would mount to the head at that location..... but, when you add AC..... especially aftermarket AC..... where the Classic Air kit comes with an AC mount design never used by Ford.... the mounting of the PS pump could change slightly. It's best to wait and mount the AC mount and PS pump simultaneously as they'll likely work/mount together.

Now, get that messy shop cleaned up!

BTW, how was Oahu? Do anything interesting? I lived on Oahu for 3 years.

Shouldnt there be another bolt and a bracket to allow for belt adjustments? I'm thinking the waterpump bolt that is at the 3 O'clock or the one at the 5 O'clock position should have the bracket that goes to the bottom of the pump.

IMG_6923.jpg

67-69 pump bracket I think its 180 out in the picture

image.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that bracket looks awfully familar, but I'd still wait to see how the AC compressor ties into the bracketry.

"daveSanborn" said:
If I remember correctly, you'll probably need to use a small spacer between the pump and the head on the long bolt. This will allow the bracket on the water pump to align. However, wait until you've installed your AC compressor because it may change everything.
You are correct about the spacer on the stock PS pump set-up.

Back