• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

PPG Shopline

dm289

Anybody use this??? Any feedback??? I plan to use DPLF primer over bare metal, but this line for the fill primer and top coat...

i've used Shopline single stage urethane for all of my black painted items (including the flattener), blue on the engine and undercarriage.

I also used Shopline basecoat for my bike (topcoated with DCU2021 because i had some leftover).

No known issues (yet anyways) and I thought it sprayed the same as Deltron DCC or Deltron DBC.

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_5681.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i use alot of shopline basecoat on the bikes. it does shoot the same as deltron DBC but some colors are really thin compared to the more expensive line. as far as base materials (epoxy, 2k primer etc., go with SPI. prices are much better along with GREAT customer service. the product is better than shopline IMO too. oh, shipping is free also.

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

buckeyedemon,

Do you mind sharing the paint codes you use for the semi-gloss black and engine??

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
i use alot of shopline basecoat on the bikes. it does shoot the same as deltron DBC but some colors are really thin compared to the more expensive line. as far as base materials (epoxy, 2k primer etc., go with SPI. prices are much better along with GREAT customer service. the product is better than shopline IMO too. oh, shipping is free also.

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

So you use Shopline base over SPI primers... what clear do you use???

"dm289" said:
buckeyedemon,

Do you mind sharing the paint codes you use for the semi-gloss black and engine??

The blue and black were sprayed in a single stage urethane. The part number of the SS urethane gloss black is JAU9300 (enamel is JAE?). The flatting agent for this urethane is J81. You will need the urethane hardener if going this route along with reducer.

In general I add about 33% flatting (i.e. 24 oz JAU9300 to 8 oz J81) to get the semi-gloss for the engine compartment. I varied most parts to give them different looks.

I just sprayed some bike racks using 50% flatting (i.e. 32oz JAU9300 to 32oz J81) for a flat black.

IMG_3724.jpg

This is the beauty of adding your own flattener. You control the gloss level and your car won't look like you used one version of black like most other cars.

The blue is 32586 (standard PPG code) with 10% added flatting agent just to take off the edge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks... also thanks for the tip about using different shades of black for a different look...

Honestly I like the look of the 50% black... would this much flattener effect durability of the paint in any way???

don't know how it impacts durability. you would have to call PPG. they have tech sheets indicating adding this much flattener.

i plan on spraying mach mach 1 hood this way.

Back