1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Prestone "T" fitting

Discussion in 'General Mustang Discussion' started by KBMWRS, Apr 6, 2018.


    KBMWRS What did the moron say today?

    So for years I have been doing the Prestone back flush of my cooling system. Using the Prestone kit where you put their "T" fitting on the heater hose.
    So yesterday I did a flush and coolant change. The plastic cap (which fits a garden hose, the fitting is plastic too) has a rubber full size gasket which has broken in the middle leaving the plastic cap itself to get heat and pressure.
    I know this is the weak point of the system so..

    Does anyone know of a Metal "T" fitting which will fit not only the heater hose but also a garden hose fitting? and a metal cap that fits a garden hose?
    Of course the fast fix is the get a replacement rubber gasket to fit inside the cap.

    Before folks start ragging on the whole thing is a weak spot. I have had this on my car for years with no problems. I just want to make it right before a problem arises.
  2. Horseplay

    Horseplay I Don't Care. Do you?

    You can buy the same plastic tee set-up as a replacement for a few bucks at any auto parts store. Instead of leaving it in though why not swap it out with a metal straight connector when done flushing? That's what I do. Feel much better with that in place for the long haul.

    I searched but came up empty on a metal tee replacement.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018

    KBMWRS What did the moron say today?

    Thanks....off the top of your head do you know the diameter of a straight metal connector I would need?
    I'll go measure but while I'm on the PC why not ask.
  4. Horseplay

    Horseplay I Don't Care. Do you?

    5/8" I.D. is stock size heater hose.
  5. 3175375

    3175375 Well-Known Member

    make a brass setup.
  6. B67FSTB

    B67FSTB The NorCal dude from Belgium

    Same here.

    KBMWRS What did the moron say today?

    Ok find me a brass heater connection with a garden hose T. Not so easy.

    I'll use the suggestion of a brass straight connection and use the T when I need it. For now though I have a brass cap on the T.
  8. 3175375

    3175375 Well-Known Member

    use a tee and two nipples for the heater hose. I said nipples!

    You can get an adapter to a hose fitting and then use the brass cap you already have.
  9. JeffTepper

    JeffTepper Well-Known Member

    I suggest you look for "Female Branch Tee" with the size and threads you need to fit your garden hose and heater hoses. If you plan to use brass fittings check out Royal Brass on N 10th Street in San Jose. I suspect that a specialty item like that may be a bit expensive. On the other hand, if you go to the plumbing section at OSH (or big box store) you can gather up the slip joint copper fittings/adapters and solder them together for that custom touch. Not clear if your intent is to leave the device in line all the time or to install it only when flushing the coolant.
  10. KBMWRS

    KBMWRS What did the moron say today?

    I bought a brass cap. All is good.

Share This Page