• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Proper Sealing of Intake to Block

I disagree with your disagreeing with Dave.

I agree with Dave. When RTV dries it serves as a single piece gasket. How is that not better than a 3 part seal?

I disagree with you disagreeing with Mel disagreeing with Dave, I haven't had any UPPER leaks with using the cork gasket and dabs of RTV at the edges.

Now, the rear main seal leak is a whole nuther subject :rp

"silverblueBP" said:
I disagree with you disagreeing with Mel disagreeing with Dave, I haven't had any UPPER leaks with using the cork gasket and dabs of RTV at the edges.

I disagree with you disagreeing with Sluggo who disagrees with Mel, who disagrees with Dave. Wait. What were we discussing?

Actually, I've done it both ways & had it work. I have had failures (years ago) with hte cork, but never with the RTV. So now, just the RTV - although it makes it a b*&*(^ to get the thing off later.

I have to disagree with EVERYONE!!

I don't use either cork gaskets or a silicone bead. This way, I can see where I've been or find my way home, and the car always has fresh oil in it!!!

It seems to me the possible issue with the intake to block seal is that with all the machining done to various surfaces, that gap can be too wide or too narrow for the cork gasket. Too wide and it doesn't seal well. Too narrow and it squeezes out.

Frank

a trial fit?

Hi Frank! Do you think it may be best to set the intake on to see what kind of gap may exist between the two before bolting them permanently together? that my determine whether or not to use the gasket or not? I'm still having mixed emotions of using the cork gasket or not.
dne'

"crustycurmudgeon" said:
It seems to me the possible issue with the intake to block seal is that with all the machining done to various surfaces, that gap can be too wide or too narrow for the cork gasket. Too wide and it doesn't seal well. Too narrow and it squeezes out.

Frank

My two cents worth....used the cork many times with a few leaks now and then. As the gasket sets got cheaper, I noticed more problems. Started using the RTV and have never had a leak. Nobody here has the 100% true way of doing it with out ever having a problem. One must just take a chance.......

Re: a trial fit?

"Dne'" said:
Hi Frank! Do you think it may be best to set the intake on to see what kind of gap may exist between the two before bolting them permanently together? that my determine whether or not to use the gasket or not? I'm still having mixed emotions of using the cork gasket or not.
dne'

Toss the cork. It's a guaranteed leak with an Edelbrock intake.

Re: a trial fit?

"Sluggo" said:
I've run some of my edelbrock intakes with the cork, and I've never had a leak from the intake. I guess a lot of it depends on how you install the cork, and a whole lotta luck!!

Back