• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Question about Saginaw steering pumps.

68EFIvert

I put a Saginaw pump on my car so that the flow and pressure would match up well with my Steeroids Rack and pinion. I have a little leak on the back of the pump. There are two small holes (besides the supply and return ports) that have plastic plugs in them. I assume I need to do something to those plugs because both of then are seeping fluid. What does the back of your pumps look like? Is there bolts that go in those for mounting or should I put some other type of plug in there that would seal them better.

I thought about putting some aviation sealer on the plastic plugs and putting them back in but I fear over time the plastic would get brittle and blow out at some inconvenient time.

I figured it out. The plugs do have threaded holes behind them for mounting studs. I put a couple 3/8" bolts with washers on them to plug them. I should be good to go now.

Yup. There's an O-ring between the reservoir and the pump itself at each bolt hole. You have to install a bolt of some kind into each hole to cinch the rings down and seal the holes.

Back